Just the two of us

The soft breath of the young girl softened the room from its rough decay. Slowly getting out of bed to not wake her, i made sure she was safe before i headed off. She wore my younger brothers tattered shirt that seemed to roll off her shoulders and dirty blonde hair that fell down to the end of her back. she stood out from the family with the lighter hair colour and the locks from my mom. Everyone else getting chocolate brown and without volume to their hair.
Even though she is three, shes the prettiest out of us four; me being lucked out on the good genes. I got my dads big nose, straight hair and moms thickness to it, and my grandmother's box head. I look like a boy than a girl, and it doesn't help with the clothes i wear and my hair being short. I gave up trying to convince people i was a girl and just went with it, I don't like to use the bathroom in public because I don't want to go through the awkward encounter of them thinking a boy is in the women's restroom.

Pulling up the covers i tuck her in bed and lightly kiss her forehead. This time not forgetting my backpack before i go through the door, i slip on my belt and holster hoping i wont need to use it today. A pocket knife on my thigh and my wrist watch, i have to keep an eye on the time and get home before 10.
I leave opened crayons and colouring books to occupy herself for when I'm gone.

The opened street and empty houses felt surreal, a shaking in my legs as i dared to exit the safety of the house. Creeping along the road quietly, hearing every bird and branch. It all laid moist as the night before had rained like the sky was weeping. Eleanor could barely sleep of how loud it was. I couldn't sleep either i was just as scared, but we had each other.

I came up to a home with an old buttery paint and the windows smashed in. I didn't want to find out what was inside, with a big warning on the door written in blood, "DON'T OPEN". I'm going to listen to it this time. Curiosity killed the cat and I wasn't about to be next on the list. But i was going to take this bike, the green paint scratched and it was a small bit busted. Still rideable. So i pulled it off the ground and made sure that it could stand. Wiping off the water residue off the seat with my hand, i took a seat on it to do a test ride. The pedals squeak as i push, the water really did something on this thing. I take off on the road while avoiding branches, bodies, and cars that scattered the place.

I made sure not to travel far just so i could get home on time, i didn't feel safe to leave my little sister alone and away for a long time. Its been a couple months since it happened... since the "walkers" decided to kill everyone. Well at least not everyone.. not us at least, i kinda have a hope in me that were not the only survivors and i wish to find them. But there comes a sort of price to that.