two

"I KNEW WE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A NEWER TRUCK!" BOBBY PANICKED, voice echoing through the filling street as he pushed against a truck. jinhwan cursed to himself, twisting the key in the ignition of the worn-down truck.

"come on, please turn on," his plea was whispered into thin air as the sweat dripped from his brow and his shaky hand gripped the key. the engine stalled in response, sputtering and choking. jinhwan groaned as he slapped the steering wheel, turning the key once more in desperation. he almost cried in relief when the engine revved, roaring to life. he stuck his head out the window, hand clutching the gear shift and foot flooring the brake, "get in the bed bobby!"

the truck bounced as bobby jumped in the bed of the truck and jinhwan took that as his sign to move. he floored the acceleration when a sudden shout sounded. his eyes trailed to the rearview mirror; y/n was running toward them, pleading for them to wait. jinhwan cursed—his hollering was going to attract even more attention from the creatures. he eased off the gas, slowing down in the slightest.

"run faster!" bobby rushed, "they're coming after you! give me your hand," he warned, stretching his hand as far out as he could. y/n strained, trying to avoid slipping on the iced road. his fingertips barely grazed bobby's when he lost his footing, sliding against the ice. he thought he was done for until bobby's hand clasped tightly unto his. bobby was bent over the door by the torso, desperately clinging to y/n as the road continued to move against y/n's feet. y/n clawed at the truckbed door, trying to pull himself up and it wasn't until jinhwan had slowed the truck immensely that he was able to finally pull himself over the edge and fall slack against the bed. as soon as bobby delivered the slaps against the truck to signal, the trio was moving again.

"hey," bobby called out to y/n in caution. y/n looked at him, chest heaving as he lie down. "you weren't bitten or scratched, were you?"

y/n swallowed, patting around his body and examining any bare skin. he finally shook his head no, watching bobby. the latter slowly nodded, bringing a hand to the back of his neck and lips pursing in thought. he suddenly hummed, "good. you would have been thrown out if you were."

y/n only delivered a glare in response, too exhausted to even say something.

bobby ignored him, staring in the distance as he watched the small gathering of creatures try and chase after them, slipping and falling onto the road.

...

some time into the ride, jinhwan turned onto a backroad, causing y/n to be alert. his cold body shook with anxiousness, doubting his decision to go with the two.

the truck jostled along the dirt trail and the smell of manure seemed to penetrate the rather fresh ice and snow on the ground. it seemed like the snowstorm didn't reach this area. y/n covered his nose, looking around. "stinks, doesn't it?" bobby finally spoke after the long ride. they were now entering through a gate that jinhwan had momentarily gotten out of the truck to open, doing the same to close and lock it.

y/n spared bobby a glance, lowering his hand and looking at the land around him. there was a farmhouse in front of them; it was cozy, in a way.

clouds awakened at his breath and the falling snow nestled onto the tips of his eyelashes, painting them off-white. the tip of his nose barely matched the shade of the rusted truck they were getting out of. he kept his guard up, frozen eyes watching as five men walked out of the farmhouse, some stoic or nervous. they too were cautious of y/n.

of the five men, only one raised his weapon, aiming at y/n. y/n put his hands up, glaring at him. was this guy dense?

the gunman looked at jinhwan, "is he good, hyung?" jinhwan gave a curt nod.