Chapter 1

Jordan knows she shouldn't be watching. The pain of leaving Arsenal was still too strong, but something was drawing her to the match. Maybe it was the implications it had on the top 3 race, maybe enough time had finally passed, or maybe it was that she was missing a certain blonde defender.

They hadn't spoken much since Jordan's transfer and the subsequent break up. It had been gradual, slowly the communication stopped and that was it. That didn't mean both girls weren't heartbroken. They had both being grieving the loss of their long-term relationship in different ways. For Jordan, her coping mechanism was her new team-mates. She had thrown herself head first into getting to know them and the club, and it was working. Her mind only drifted to Leah when she was alone with her thoughts. She still loved her immensely, but how could she be a good partner from this far away?

The game had only been going for 15 minutes and it all seemed a bit much for Jordan, still too soon, she thought as she grabbed the remote to change the channel. Then something stopped her.

Leah. Her Leah. Well, not her Leah anymore, but still Leah. She was on the floor clutching her knee. Jordan's heart sunk. She knew the feeling of having a knee injury right before a major tournament. But maybe this wasn't that, maybe it was just an impact injury and she'd be fine. Then she saw the replay.

The World Cup was 3 months away, and based on Jordan's indepth knowledge of knee injuries, she was 80% sure this would keep Leah out the tournament, and the league for a while. Those 3 letters that everyone hates to hear floated across her mind. It couldn't be though, it couldn't happen to her Leah, it was impossible.

Then Leah didn't get up, and Jordan's worry intensified. The stretcher came on, and then Leah stood up. Maybe Jordan had been right, it was just an impact injury.

The look on Leah's face told another story. It was a look that had twice been on Jordan's face, most recently before the Euro's last summer. It was the look of knowing your dream was over. Leah Williamson knew she wouldn't be captaining England at the World Cup this year and Jordan felt helpless. Their roles had reversed in the cruelest way, and Jordan couldn't even support Leah the way Leah had supported her.

She debated sending her a text, but didn't want to add on to Leah's immediate emotional whirlpool. Then her phone lit up, and, not for the first time in recent history, her heart soared hoping the message would be from the girl she was still deeply, truly, in love with. It wasn't, the message, from the ex-couple's mutual friend who was going through the same thing herself, sent her hearts to new depths she hadn't known possible.

Beth Mead
"Fuck."

AN: Well it's been a while, just a little idea I had floating in my head. If people are into it I might continue, if not just leave it as a sad little oneshot. Let me know what you think!