Memories

17 years ago, I was born on August 12 in Tokyo, Japan. My dad is African, born in Nigeria, but raised in England. My mom is pure Japanese, born in Kyoto.

My dad would always watch football and especially the Premier League. He told me that I would always watch the screen whenever football was on, even as a baby.

I grew up watching Ronaldo, Neymar, and Noel Noa. I watched clips of Ronaldhino on youtube in my first year of high school. I copied what they did and I picked it up pretty quickly.

But back in elementary, I always had a ball with me and I would play with the other kids. I joined the junior high team and that's where I met Akuma. He and I always picked a fight with each other about who would score a goal, and looking back, it's pretty funny.

After a few months, we began to build chemistry as well as our friendship. We still fought over scoring goals but it was never serious. One day, we played against another team and there was this one moment that I remember clearly, the score was tied 1-1 and there was around a minute left of additional time.

I received a pass from Akuma after breaking through the defense and something took over me.

"Ki-chan! I'm open!" I heard him yell at me.

"Shut up." I remember saying.

I ran forward with a burst of speed and sent the ball flying into the goal and won the game.

Everyone celebrated around me but I was dazed. I remember being so confused on what happened to me that I just stood there.

"Yo! What was that!? That shot flew like a bullet!" Akuma yelled.

"I don't know.." I replied.

The next day, a student from another city transferred to our school. She was in my class, with Akuma.

"Ki-chan, isn't she pretty?" He asked me.

"I mean yea I guess. Why?"

"Do you like her?"

"I never talked to her. How would I like her as a person?"

"No! I mean like like her."

"What's that?"

"You don't know what that is?"

"No I never heard of that."

"It's where you like a girl as more than friends, then if she likes you back, you'll be boyfriend and girlfriend! You hold hands and walk to school together!"

"I don't want to hold hands with her."

"How about any other girl?"

"No."

"What, do you like boys?"

I gave him the "Really?" face.

"How could you not like girls!? Every boy does!"

"I don't know. I just don't. Why are you so focused on it?"

"Well I want you to be happy!"

"Football makes me happy."

"But you need someone in your life to love!"

"Someone to love? Why do I need that?"

"Do you not get what feelings are?"

"Like being happy or sad?"

"Yes but I'm talking about to other people."

"Well I'm also happy with you around, you're my best friend!"

"Of course you are! But whatever, just forget it." He looked at the new girl. "Hano-san!"

She turned around and looked at Akuma.

"Yes..?"

"Can you lend me a pencil? I forgot mine and Ki-chan only has his one pencil." He pointed at me.

She looked at me and the color of her eyes looked pretty cool. It looked like mine, just without the star shape pupils.

"Woah! Your eyes are so cool!"

"Thanks. The color of your eyes are cool."

"Thank you!" She smiled with rosy cheeks.

"What a player~." Akuma whispered.

I gave him the same look as earlier and he backed up immediately.

Hano-san gave him one of her pencils and handed me one too.

"It's always good to have an extra!" She said to me.

"I'll remember." I laughed.

She went back to her seat happily and Akuma leaned closer to me.

"What do you think of Hano Ichika?" He whispered again.

"Her name is Ichika?"

"Yeah. I told you you two could get married."

"Dude. We talked one time."

He laughed and we went back to doing our work.

"Alright Aki, I'm gonna go to bed~" Ichika yawned.

Everyone was asleep, their energy depleted after teasing me for half an hour.

"Wait! You remember junior high? When you gave me and Akuma a pencil?"

"A pencil..oh yeah! I remember, why?"

"I just remembered that and realized it was you."

"You just now realized it was me?" She laughed.

"My bad I forgot." I laughed with her.

"When I saw you on that U-20 match, I could instantly tell it was the same, cool kid back from junior high. I couldn't believe that he grew into an amazing football player though."

"Why didn't you say that when you saw me?"

"I got nervous when you approached me..."

"I can hear you blushing."

"Shut up! I'm not blushing!"

I laughed. "You're a terrible liar but you're so cute."

"G-good night! I miss you!"

"I miss you too. Goodnight Ichika~." I sang.

"Eee-!" She hung up, cutting herself off.

I smiled and left to return Nagi's phone. Once I got back, I jumped onto my bed and fell asleep.