6. Where's Daddy?

Bella sat on the porch, her small legs swinging back and forth as she watched the neighborhood kids playing with their fathers in the street. They were laughing and enjoying a game of catch, their faces filled with joy. A pang of sadness filled Bella's chest as she wondered why her own father wasn't there to play with her like the other children's fathers were.

In the small house in California that Bella shared with her mother, Renee, and her grandmother, Marie, the atmosphere was often tense. Her mother and grandmother didn't get along well, and Bella could feel the strain between them. Despite that, her grandmother doted on her, always making time to listen to her thoughts and worries.

Seeing the sadness in her granddaughter's eyes, Marie sat down beside Bella on the porch, her kind eyes filled with understanding. "What's bothering you, sweetheart?" she asked gently.

"I just... I miss Daddy," Bella admitted, her voice barely more than a whisper. "Why can't he live with us like the other kids' dads?"

Marie sighed, knowing that explaining the concept of divorce to a young child was never easy. "Well, Bella, sometimes people grow apart and decide that it's better for them to live separate lives. Your mother and father still love you very much, but they found that they couldn't live together anymore. It doesn't mean they love you any less."

Bella's brow furrowed in confusion. "But why can't they just try harder? Maybe if they lived together again, they could learn to be happy."

Her grandmother smiled sadly. "Life isn't always that simple, dear. Sometimes people need to make difficult choices in order to find a better life for themselves and their children. Your mother and father both want what's best for you, and they believe that living apart is the right choice."

Bella's eyes filled with tears, and she looked down at her lap, trying to make sense of the situation. "I just wish Daddy was here," she mumbled, her voice choked with emotion.

Marie wrapped a comforting arm around Bella, pulling her close. "I know you do, sweetheart. And I know it's hard to understand. But it's important to remember that your parents love you very much, and they're doing the best they can."

Bella leaned into her grandmother's embrace, her small body shaking with sobs. Marie held her close, murmuring soothing words as she stroked Bella's hair. She knew that her granddaughter's heartache couldn't be erased with a simple explanation, but she hoped that, in time, Bella would come to understand and accept the reality of her parents' divorce.

As the sun began to set, casting a warm, golden light over the street, Marie continued to hold Bella, her heart aching for the child she loved so dearly. She, too, had experienced the pain of divorce when she and Beaufort had separated years before. She understood the confusion and sadness that Bella was experiencing, and she wished more than anything that she could take that pain away.

But she knew that the only thing she could do was to be there for Bella, offering her love and support as she navigated the challenges of her parents' divorce. It was a difficult journey, but Marie was determined to help Bella find the strength and resilience she needed to face it head-on.

As the neighborhood kids continued to play and laugh with their fathers, Bella's tears eventually subsided, and she found solace in her grandmother's embrace. It wasn't a perfect solution, and her heart still ached for her father's presence, but she knew that she wasn't alone. And with the love and support of her family, she would find a way to make sense of the situation and begin to heal.

Days turned into weeks, and weeks into months. Bella's longing for her father remained, but Marie continued to be a loving and supportive presence in her life. They spent countless hours together, talking about Bella's feelings, her fears, and her dreams. Marie shared stories of her own experiences, hoping to help Bella better understand the complexities of relationships and the decisions people make.