SIX

‼️
Patience Blackfur
Blackfur Valley
The Blackfur Manor

The midday heat pummels my back as I lean over the colorful flowerbed; as usual I'm attempting to look as if I know what I'm doing, but in reality nothing that I plant actually grows - unless the gardeners intervene. Then the angels that they are insist on giving me credit for the floral haven that gets so many compliments.
Though gardening isn't my strongest talent, it's the only thing I've been able to do here that has kept me sane over the last several hundred years. It's the one place that distracts my mind from everything that makes me want to throw myself into the inferno of Drake's Eye and be free of the toxicity that being a Blackfur brings.

Everyone thought I was the luckiest girl in the world when I was chosen to marry Bane Blackfur. He was young, attractive and powerful; Heir to the Blackfur throne and refused to wait for his mate. He wanted his throne now and he'd chosen me to help him get it.
I'd had his attention ever since middle school so when he asked me to be his Luna, nobody - not even I was surprised. Our relationship was one of passion, undeniable hunger and unhealthy possession. We were happy and love came quickly.
I was sure that we'd be together forever. Lycan's are considered immortal beings; with our lifespan unaffected by time or disease our kind are known to live for centuries before the cold hand of death finds us in one way or another.
As if in someway of controlling our growth, fertility among purebred couples is extremely low and whilst our species still thrives it is less in number than Werewolves.

So when our triplets were born, they should've been regarded a blessing. Instead, their father treated them like a curse. Bane saw them as a clock, each one counting down the time left of his reign and everyday he became colder and crueler.
On their fourth birthday Bane called an assembly. Lining all three of the young boys shoulder to shoulder for all of the Valley to see.

approx. 950 years ago

The Grand Hall is filled to capacity with all eyes focused on the stage, on the three boys so seldom seen in the Kingdom. The Princes'. My sons. Each shuffle uncomfortably, eager to get back to the birthday party preparations. Neither want to be involved in the sudden pomp that their father has insisted on. They're just little boys that want to eat cake and play in the mud.. they definitely don't want to be around their father.

As he speaks they flinch.
I know first hand my husbands cruelty. The face he wears for his Kingdom is nothing but a mask of charm and regality, but I know the truth behind it. The darkness in the white of his eyes when I try to refuse him or defend our children, the wickedness in which his mind works.

I see it now as his casts his eyes back at our boys; void of affection and full of loathing.
How can a father despise his own children so much?
"...in the tradition of ancient Kings blessed with more than one son..." his eyes glower at me, he blames me for his plight "...on this, their fourth birthday. Prince's Bane IIII, Brock II and Blake V will begin The Alpha Trials" gasps echo in the hall as my stomach drops, pulling my heart with it.

There's no way he means this.
The Alpha Trials were regarded as barbaric even back then and haven't been done for millennia since. Without thought the words leave my lips "You can't be serious!" loud enough for the immediate council to hear, and so I'm met with the blind white fury of my husbands eyes.
His Lycan surges forward, 'On your knees' without care for his Luna's reputation the order comes in firm; leaving me no choice but to obey. It shocks the gathered crowd as my knee's meet the stage floor and my head bows unwillingly. My eyes however stay up in defiance, something I know I'll pay for later but I don't care, all that matters right now are the three boys being dragged away by guards.