16: memento mori

(SCENE ARTS CONTAIN GORE, THEY ARE CENSORED, LOOK AT THE AO3 VERSION FOR UNCENSORED VERSIONS.) (WITH OST)

Knife's eyes weakly snapped open, seeing nothing but darkness.

His body floated but his bones felt like they were being pressed on, he felt a strange warmth next to him in the vast cold void but he didn't know where its source came from. It felt almost calming in a way.

He felt a breeze run over his body, a slight chill going through it.

The jerk looked at his hand and turned it over to his palm, being able to see his body clearly but nothing else. His body felt almost like he was in water but he was able to breathe and see clearly. slowly drifting like he was in space.

Suddenly his body hit the floor, grunting harshly as he fell on his side. He slowly rose up as a familiar pain struck him in the head again, feeling like a headache.

The jerk heard a scuffle behind him, whipping his head behind him to see the source but it felt like it kept moving behind his vision every time he tried to see the disturbance. He felt almost dizzy because of it.

His breathing slowed slightly as the noise stopped but he felt unsafe, he felt like prey being hunted.

Knife took a step back before being pushed to the ground, falling onto his stomach and pulling himself up just enough to look at what threw him to the floor.

The silhouette of an eye, it felt undesirably recognizable

Knife crawled away and blocked his face with his arm a little, stopping to see the person fade into view.

"Paintbrush?" His voice rasped out, as Knife's arm lowered a bit.

The artist's eye was mangled horribly, Knife's body almost retracted back due to the nasty sight. They were wearing a prison jumpsuit along with their neck area covered in old bloodstains.

The painter looked down at Knife quietly, their silence made the jerk prepare for any sudden moves on him.

"Who do you think I am?" They spoke, no emotion being sensed in their voice.

"I... I don't understand." Knife slightly panted, a breeze slightly slipping in his hair and out.

"You never did." Paintbrush's empty voice slipped out, blood slowly inched down their cheek.

Knife looked at the artist and flipped his body as his arms caught his back, slightly scooting back as the painter slightly approached him.

"Listen, I don't know what the fuck is going on--" Knife's gruff voice stated before he was quickly pulled by the collar from them, and he huskily whimpered.

"Idiot! you never did..." Paintbrush growled in his face, gaining a gruff whine from Knife.

"That's the thing about you. You never understood what was going on even if it was happening right in front of you." They hissed, blood leaking out of their eye more noticeably faster.

"What happened to our friend, Painty?" Knife's voice fought for air, his teeth pressing together harshly, trying to speak to the artist's bitter spirit.

The artist's body slightly retracted back as their face quickly switched to a raged-filled shock.

"Do you know what it's like to feel backstabbed by the people you love?!" The artist screamed as their grip on him tightened.

Crimson liquid dripped violently on the floor and onto Knife's clothes as the blood slowly trickled up his legs like bugs.

Tears formed out of the painter's eyes as blood flowed more viciously "I didn't want this... I didn't!" They yelled in anguish as their grip shook on Knife.

Knife's eyes focused more on Paintbrush as he started to notice their blonde hair turning a green tint and their body starting to morph in front of him.

What was Paintbrush started to form into Test Tube before she was murdered by their hands, Knife's breathing paced faster as his eyes locked onto the woman that took form. The blood flow stopped but the rest of it still crawled up his body.

"I didn't want this Knife!" She cried, shaking her grip on his leather jacket "I'm sorry, I tried my hardest!" "I'm sorry I ruined everything!" The scientist practically bawled her eyes out.

Knife was at a loss for words, giving the lady a thousand-yard stare as she sobbed loudly in front of him.

"Test Tube?" He managed to mutter out.

The scientist's voice became more distorted as her head began to split open with the worst noise he could ever imagine. He cringed as he looked in awe at the horrors unraveled in front of him. The noises her head made as it bloomed outwards were the thing of nightmares, sending a new wave of fear throughout his body and up his spine. He was used to seeing Trophy get shot in front of him but this was new.

It was terrifying.