11. Death is sincere

When everything vanished, Carmichael swore it was the end

When everything vanished, Carmichael swore it was the end. Maybe his moment to transcend had finally arrived, maybe Lady Death had found out about his scam and this was his punishment. The only thing he concluded? Dying was very dark, very lonely, very silent, and...

"Frederick Carmichael." And it was also hell if his ears weren't deceiving him and he had just heard Scarlett's voice next to him.

He opened his eyes and found out that he hadn't transcended, he was simply in death's grounds, in the hallway just in front of the door to visit his beloved Lady Death. Scarlett was standing there, as serious as always, but for the first time, not seeming angry at his mere presence.

"How did I get here?" he inquired, looking at his hands, closing and opening them into fists to check if all of this was real.

"Lady Death requested your immediate presence," replied Scarlett, placing her hands behind her back. "She summoned you herself."

Carmichael suddenly felt a pit in his stomach. He had accepted that this could happen, but now that he was facing it, he was terrified.

"Do you know why?" he asked, lowering his voice.

Scarlett furrowed her brow.

"Death isn't questioned, only obeyed," she replied, grasping the door handle. "Don't waste her time."

Scarlett turned the handle and opened the door slowly. Carmichael knew he had to go through, to face what awaited him in that room, but he was terrified. This time, there was no escape, this time his charms would be useless. He felt naked and vulnerable.

"Could you do me a favor?" he asked Scarlett before entering.

Scarlett looked at him skeptically.

"If Andrew or Nina come here, tell them I'm sorry I couldn't keep the promise."

Scarlett, confused, tilted her head.

"Promise? What promise?"

Carmichael smirked.

"Don't be nosy."

The redhead became upset.

"Carmichael..."

"I also have an apology reserved for you," he added. "I'm sorry about what happened with that prank. It got out of hand, didn't it?"

Scarlett pouted.

"You just gave me more work."

"I thought you liked that."

And once again, Carmichael's senses must have been playing tricks on him because he swore he saw a smile form on Scarlett's lips.

"Cowardice doesn't suit you, Frederick Carmichael," she pointed out. "Stand up and do it properly."

Carmichael returned the smile and obeyed her words. He straightened up, puffed out his chest, and lifted his head, combing his hair back and adjusting the collar of his black coat. He would face death with dignity. This time for sure.