THE COLOR OF REDEMPTION

FADE IN:

EXT. NEIGHBORHOOD -- DAY

"INDIANA POSTAL SERVICE" beams across a rusty white truck as the engine sputters to life.  The mail wagon rolls past a stretch of idyllic suburbia. 

The vehicle halts at a rundown shack sticking out like a sore thumb on the block.  MISTER POSTMAN, forties, navy tinged short-shorts, pounds down the steps of the truck.

He spies a skinhead smoking on the front porch in a rocking chair.  The mail carrier drudges up the walkway scowling every step.

MISTER POSTMAN

First stop on my route and it's goddamn punks.  There goes the neighborhood.

EXT. JOEY'S HOUSE -- DAY

DONNIE, twenties, sports a shaved head and swastika emblazoned t-shirt.  He flicks the spliff into the yard as the mail carrier nears.

DONNIE

Great.

Mister Postman mashes the burning butt into the ground and cheerfully files up the steps of the porch.  He clangs the knocker as a vicious argument rages from inside the house.

MISTER POSTMAN

Nobody home.

Donnie flips up his pack of smokes and lights a cigarette stonewalling the mailman.

MISTER POSTMAN (CONT'D)

You deaf or just fucking dumb? 

DONNIE

How come all our tax dollars only buy you daisy dukes and a rusted shit trap on wheels?

MISTER POSTMAN

Donald Powers I bet your grandfather's rolling in his grave right about now.

DONNIE

What did you just say?

Donnie glares up from the rocking chair as he clutches the butt of a shotgun swaddled inside a blanket.

DONNIE (CONT'D)

You sure that what you just said?

Donnie unveils the shotgun and shoves the barrel in Mister Postman's face.

MISTER POSTMAN

No, I didn't say nothing.  Just put the gun down son, I got an old lady and grand babies at home-

DONNIE

I don't think that's what you just said.

Donnie pulls the trigger.  The round blows a hole through Mister Postman's chest.  He launches off the porch and crawls down the walkway gushing blood from every orifice.

Donnie swings the shotgun over his shoulder, struts up the walkway and recovers the smoldering joint from the grass.

DONNIE (CONT'D)

(­belts out a puff of smoke)

There goes the neighborhood.

Donnie lowers the barrel at the agonizing man and squeezes the trigger.

EXT. JOEY'S HOUSE -- END OF HALLUCINATION

Mister Postman shuffles his hands in front of Donnie's face.

MISTER POSTMAN

Does it sound like I'm speaking in foreign tongues to you?  Goddamit answer me.

DONNIE

What?

MISTER POSTMAN

Earth to rain man I been trying to deliver this package for the last five minutes.