01. Pilot

INT. APARTMENT BEDROOM – DAY

"Sam!" two young women called.

The young women, Jess and Maura, came around a corner; Jess was wearing a sexy-nurse costume and adjusting her hat. Maura had chosen to go as Luna Lovegood, much to the amusement of her friends. The photo of Mary and John was on the dresser.

"Get a move on, would you?" Jess said. "We were supposed to be there like fifteen minutes ago." She walked off. "Sam! You coming or what?"

Sam poked his head around the corner. He was wearing jeans and three shirts, not a costume. "Do I have to?"

"Yes!" Maura and Jess cried.

"It'll be fun," Jess added as Sam came into the room. "And where's your costume?"

Sam laughed and ducked his head. "You know how I feel about Halloween."

Maura sighed. "All right, party pooper. Let's go."

"Don't you have clients to prepare for?"

"Yes, but it's Halloween. You have to go out on Halloween."

INT. BAR – NIGHT

Classic's What Cha Gonna Do began to play.

The bar was decorated for Halloween, including a gargoyle with cobwebs and a baseball hat that said "GET NAKED". Someone poured someone else a shot. Everyone was in costume.

Jess raised a glass as a young man in a ghoul costume, Luis, came up to the table where Sam, Maura and Jess were. Sam was still not in costume.

"So here's to Sam—" Jess began, "—and his awesome LSAT victory."

"All right, all right, it's not that big a deal," Sam said.

Jess, Sam, Maura and Luis clinked glasses.

"Yeah, he acts all humble. But he scored a one seventy-four."

Luis drank his shot, as did Sam. "Is that good?"

"Scary good," Jess and Maura replied as they drank.

"So there you go. You are a first-round draft pick. You can go to any law school you want!" Luis sat next to Sam.

"Actually, I got an interview here. Monday," Sam replied. "If it goes okay I think I got a shot at a full ride next year."

"Hey. It's gonna go great," Jess reassured.

"It better."

Maura offered an encouraging smile. "I'm sure it will."

"How does it feel to be the golden boy of your family?" Luis asked.

"Ah, they don't know," Sam said.

"Oh, no, I would be gloating! Why not?"

"Because we're not exactly the Bradys."

"And I'm not exactly the Huxtables. More shots?"

Jess, Maura and Sam spoke in chorus. "No. No."

"No," Sam repeated.

Luis went up to the bar anyway.

Maura let out a sigh. "Someone's gotta stop him." She followed after him.

Jess spoke. "No, seriously. I'm proud of you. And you're gonna knock 'em dead on Monday—and you're gonna get that full ride. I know it."

"What would I do without you?" Sam wondered.

"Crash and burn." She smiled and pulled Sam in for a kiss.

EXT. NEAR SAM'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

That night, Maura was walking back to her car after a late night.