Brotherly Love

There were two brothers living in an old abandoned house situated at Mississippi, United States of America. The older brother, Nikko, at his age of 30, still unmarried due to his goal to help his little brother, Regienald, graduate from college. Regienald on the other hand, is a 23 year old man who takes up Bachelor of Science Major in Architecture. These two can never be separated, as if there is glue pasted on one another. Wherever the other one goes, the other follows. They loved each other more than the whole world, especially when their parents died and left them under the welfare of their Aunt Alexia.

On a bright Sunday morning, Regienald was taking a walk near the river when he accidentally bumps into a woman. The woman was slim, sexy, and gorgeous. Her skin was as bright as the day. Regienald vigorously helped the woman stand up. After doing so, he asked her name with a polite tone. The woman replied and said, “Thanks for helping me, my name is Maricar”. He answered back and said his name. He was stunned at such a feat after hearing the angel’s name. They nodded their heads and went on their way.

As Regienald came home, he jumped with joy and hugged Nikko with such force that Nikko almost choked. Nikko, unaware of what happened asked his brother about his happiness. The older brother told Nikko about the beautiful woman he met and how in love he is with her. Nikko didn’t care much and went on with his work.

Time passed by and it seemed like destiny was making a way for Regienald and Maricar. Soon, they fell in love with each other, ending in a relationship.

One day, Nikko had urgent errands to do and left Regienald asleep at home. On his way to the mall, his friend Carlo introduced her to a beautiful lady. Nikko was intrigued to know the woman in front of her. With time ticking, he hastily asked the woman’s name. “Maricar”, the name whispered into each ear and endlessly circled along his mind and thoughts. They had lunch and shared stories with one another. After, they bid their farewells and went home.

Nikko went straight to his bed and started to imagine Maricar. Her rosy cheeks, reddish lips, and angelic face. He soon fell asleep with a smile on his face.

The days passed and fate seemed so elusive for Nikko and Maricar. Nikko’s high hopes and love soon waver and crumbled to dust. His love was replaced with hatred.

One night, Nikko was preparing for his brother’s birthday. A few minutes later, Regienald came home with a woman. Nikko was shocked to found out that the woman was no one else than Maricar. Maricar on the other hand showed no signs of surprise and focused her attention to her lover. Nikko had to make an excuse and went straight to his room.

After the night, Regienald left Maricar sleeping on his bed and went to the tub to take a shower. He opened the door and was knocked unconscious by Nikko who tied him up. Maricar was awakened by the noise and went to take a look. She was startled to see Nikko who had an ugly eye on her. She became more distressed when he saw a knife at his hand. The atmosphere became tenser as Nikko ran up to her. Not knowing what to do, she tried to distract him by throwing things at him to hinder his speed and ran. The house was going crazy. Suddenly, shrieks were heard along the neighborhood. This alarmed the neighbors and called the police for urgent assistance. Meanwhile, on the house, Maricar was shrieking at the top of her lungs, begging for forgiveness and safety. Nikko didn’t hear nor gave attention to what she said. He was going to plunge his knife for the kill when suddenly blood spilled toward his shirt. Only then he knew that he got stabbed by his brother behind his back. He fell helplessly along the concrete. His vision started to blur. His heartbeat and breathing started to slow down. He looked up in front of him and saw his brother teary and crying for help. Maricar stood there, don’t know what to do, stare helplessly and started to cry. Nikko suddenly saw images of the yesterday, the past. Happy memories started flashing one by one. Dialogs were heard once again. With his last ounce of strength, he said to his brother, “Sorry brother. I love you so much. Remember that. I love you…” Soon his eyes closed and silence ensued the building. The police came and assessed the situation. Following them was an ambulance, but it was too late. Death has arrived on the entity of his brother. The night went gloomy, with silence on every corner. It was so silent that the breeze of the cold wind seemed to speak agony and pain.

On the following day, Maricar made a confession towards Regienald about the reason his brother reacted in such a way. Regienald erupted in anger and in pain. Maricar bid her goodbyes. She promised him that if he needs a friend, he can call her.

Nikko was buried on a nearby cemetery. Every day, his brother visits him and tells him about what happened about the day. Whenever he does this, tears immensely flowed through his eyes that he himself cannot stop the burst of tears.

Regienald graduated with high honors. He constructed a building and named it after his brother. He did this as a memoir of his companion, his best friend, and loving brother. There was no day that he didn’t cry, because every single moment, he only wished for one thing, his brother. His brother to be with him throughout his life.