13: Journey Ahead

I had no idea about the presence of the bus, the pocket knife, or even my initials

I had no idea about the presence of the bus, the pocket knife, or even my initials. However, I strongly believed in my instincts, my sixth sense, and my intuition that guided me towards the path I was supposed to take. It was the same intuition that had led me to seek out Chiara, and it was the same intuition that was leading me now. It was a feeling of deep certainty that I was on the right path.

I could see the admiration in her eyes, as if she believed I had all the answers. However, the truth was that I was simply improvising and hoping for the best. Perhaps it was some sort of cosmic alignment that led us to this point, or maybe it was just a stroke of luck. Regardless, the present moment felt like it was meant to be.

During the bus ride, she leaned her head on my shoulder, seeking comfort from me. I could tell from her breathing that she was struggling to fall asleep, despite her efforts to relax. And remembered that she mentioned only being able to snooze of within the dream when she was exhausted. Almost like passing out.

When the bus finally stopped and we got down. There was no shattered window or bottomless pit for her to jump into. Not a single dramatic or traumatic event, finally. Instead, the bus simply stopped and opened its back door. As we stepped out, I couldn't help but steal a glance at the driver's seat.

It was completely empty.

But that was it, we had finally made it.

The sense of relief that washed over me was almost palpable, and as I looked around at our surroundings, I was struck by a sudden wave of familiarity. It was as if I was seeing everything for the first time, yet at the same time I knew it all too well. I took a deep breath, savoring the moment of that small victory.

For the first time in our adventure, we weren't lost.

"Are you sure we are in the right place?" She asked, visibly confused.

I chuckled.

"Why? You didn't expect my dreams to look like this?" I arched one eyebrow and gave her a side smile, she bumped my shoulder slightly with her fist.

"I-" She started, probably thinking she had offended me in some way.

Everything was exactly like how I remembered. The playful blend of pastel colors on the buildings and nonsensical street names brought a smile to my face. I smiled at the giant tree with purple leaves towering over the little town, providing a sense of comfort. It was as if time had stood still since the last time I visited this dreamland.

It was a unique blend of the different places I grew up in. It was a mix and match of houses from all the states I had lived in, the schools I had gone to. I remember the military base, almost hidden behind a hill; the entrance of the subway next to a house I knew was really a shopping mall, bigger on the inside than what you would imagine.

"Remember, I used to lucid dream a lot." I explained, and started walking. I wasn't sure where to go exactly, but so far my instinct hadn't failed me. "So I started building this place little by little. Have you ever played The Sims?" She chuckled and nodded, a bit calmer than before. I felt calm too.