eight

present day 

It's like seeing a ghost. Although I didn't witness Ann's death with my own eyes, I imagined her dead enough times to convince myself it was the truth and never thought otherwise. At the time, it was the only explanation behind her sudden disappearance after that dreadful night in 1831, but now it's becoming quite clear what really happened. By some miracle, Ann had survived the rebellion and instead of finding me, she let me think she was dead—which I imagine with my history of running, was probably easier.

She looks the same as the day I left her, only the sadness in her wide brown eyes no longer exists. It's replaced with a wildfire that only burns brighter with every passing moment we maintain eye contact. Her dark skin isn't as harsh as I remember it, and her tight, coily strands of hair are now straightened to become unrecognizable. She's dressed appropriately for our new college setting—jeans and a bright blouse that bear such a striking contrast to the worn and tattered rags I last saw her in.

It's almost like she's a completely different person—I suppose 200 years would change a person—and yet, she still clings onto the single fragment of her newfound vampire life.

Me.

I forget about Theo completely until he speaks up, breaking me from the stupor I had found myself in. "Chloe, this is Angie. She's also a transfer student, and I'm going to be showing her around today," he introduces us as he takes a quick glance at his watch, "and you're right on time. Great."

Ann stretches her full, glossy lips into a grin that looks wrong on her. "Nice to meet you!" is the first thing she says to me, and I'm instantly reminded of the girl who had been broken far too much to trust anyone, and then I realize it's me and not her. Her hand extends to me, but I don't shake it. The silence grows deafening enough to make Theo uncomfortable, so he changes the subject. "Right, so—I'll catch you later, then, Chloe? We can try out some other sources for your paper if you want."

I don't want to leave him alone with her. I've decided it is no coincidence that Ann has decided to transfer to Savannah, and I don't know what this says about her true intentions. The library has gotten livelier since I arrived, with a flux of students chatting amongst each other and discussing anything from gossip to midterm exams. There's no way Ann would risk harming Theo with so many witnesses, but I always knew her to be impulsive when emotional—it's one of the things that almost, and should've, gotten her killed.

People in my past tend to stay there, so Ann has become an unknown variable in an unknown scheme, and the only way to get rid of loose ends like her is to cut her off before she threads into something malevolent.

Theo's phone rings before I can respond. He glances at the caller ID for less than a second before answering. "Hey, what's going on?" The person on the other end speaks, but I'm too distracted to hear what they talk about. All I can think about is Ann and the stupid grin on her face. Rarely do I ever feel strong human emotions like vengeance, but Ann's presence has sparked something deep within me that I thought I'd never revisit. She was a part of me, once. She was someone I cared for deeply and yet all I can feel when I look into her deceitful brown eyes is betrayal.

"Hey, uh, Angie ... I'm so sorry to tell you this, but something came up. I'm afraid we'll have to reschedule the tour if that's okay with you?" Theo tells us, and I thank the gods for it. It gives me just enough to time to figure out what to do with Ann and she'll be gone before anyone can begin to question her absence.

"I can give her a tour," I say with a smile that matches Ann's.

Theo gapes at me and smirks. "You sure? Didn't think you'd be one to volunteer."