Chapter 9

"Do these jeans make my butt look fat," Jas looked at her backside in the mirror

I snorted, popping a chip in my mouth. "No." I was in the guest room chilling on the bed. So far we called a truce and I could hang out in the room when I wanted without being harassed.

Jas scowled, facing toward me. "It does," she then stormed out of the room. I rolled my eyes, finishing my snack before getting off the bed.

I wandered into the bathroom, checking up on my hair before moving toward the living room. Hmm, it gets pretty boring not having anything to do all day. I wish I had something more productive to do with my time.

I was soon about to regret my words as my Grandma walked into the living room an excited look dancing across her face. "Jade!" She lit up when she saw me sprawled out on the couch. "I found you a job!" She said like it was the best news in the world.

My mouth fell open, what? She did what?

"Reid was telling me about the new position that was opened after a girl broke her arm unexpectedly, so I signed you up. Your mom told me about your CPR certification and lifeguard training and sent me all the credentials. You start on Monday with Reid. Isn't that just great?"

She walked off without ever hearing any of my thoughts on the matter. I grabbed the nearby pillow and screamed into it, punching the seat of the couch.

Monday was in two days ugh. I swear when I see Reid's stupid face I'm gonna let him have it.

Monday rolled around quickly and before I knew it Reid was outside my door to pick me up for work. I said goodbye to Grandma with my beach bag holding everything I would need.

I didn't say one word as I entered Reid's car. He tried to strike up a conversation but I completely ignored him and stared straight ahead.

"Oh come on you can't be that mad," he tapped the wheel. "I thought you would love to get out of the house. You're grandma said you were bored."

Ok well, I was bored but that didn't mean I wanted to work the rest of my break. I let out a sigh and I kept my eyes straight. He dropped the subject and continued driving to the beach he worked at.

"Teddy, wake up," I heard in the middle of the darkness. I wiped my eyes as I sat up straight in my seat. I didn't even realize I fell asleep. Reid gazed over at me with an amused smile.

Why is this dude always smiling?

He got out of the car and I followed him to the beach's office. We were on the farther side of the beach where official buildings and apartments stayed.

Reid waited patiently as I filled out some paperwork and met my boss. He was nice, a middle-aged man around my height. "Alright kiddo, looks like you're good to go." He tapped the papers on the counter. "Reid will be your trainer for today and let you know about the rules and regulations."