Glimpse

After Deacon and Dea finished their little conversation at the piano, they climbed the stairs in the back of the room. It was quiet up here compared to the commotion below, which was now muffled underneath the floor. The hallway they walked through was dimly illuminated by a few lanterns. She observed the hanging black-and-white photographs and peeling wallpaper around them in distaste. She was glad they wouldn’t be staying here for long. 

“I have a question,” She dragged out slowly, eying the doors they passed. “Aren’t rooms in saloons like these usually used for… prostitutes ..?” 

“They can be.” He replied. He stopped at one door and slid the key into the lock. A revelation hit her and she pointed at him with a small gasp. 

“...So that's why you’re a recurring customer here!"

He ignored her comment and opened the door to their room. She let her mind wander as they stepped through the doorway. There were two full-sized beds and a pair of nightstands with lamps on them. A door led to a small bathroom, and there was a reasonably-sized closet, but there wasn’t much beyond the desk placed in front of the lone window. She imagined succumbing to boredom if she had to spend more than 5 minutes in here.

She shuddered as she approached the mattresses. “I hate to think how much sex these things have seen...” 

“More than either of us can count,” He mumbled, briefly searching through the drawers. He almost laughed at the ironic placement of a bible.

“I would rather sleep back on the ship.” 

“You'll just have to deal with it, then.'”

She opened her mouth to complain, but held her tongue when he reached into his coat and grabbed a dossier. He handed it to her patiently. She opened the file with curious eyes. It contained all the information about their current target. He brushed past her to head to the door.

“Read that while I go and fetch our things. You'll need to know what's in there." 

She nodded, allowing him to leave the room. 

By the time Deacon came back, Dea had finished reading all the papers. She threw the folder onto the desk and went to sit on the edge of the bed before she stopped herself. She moved to the chair instead and crossed her arms. She picked up her head to look at him. 

"That man's disgusting," He could hear her quietly grinding her teeth. "Just why had he been targeting the Armada, anyway?"

"From what I learned, his past lover enlisted and that made him furious. He had a history of stalking her, and claims that we took her ‘away’ from him when we provided her protection. He likely found shelter in Santo Pollo after escaping his arrest.”

"Dios mío… "

"I should warn you - most fugitives I capture are the scum of the earth. I don't exactly work clean." 

"I'll be more than happy to give this bastard what's coming to him." She peeked over to the large bag he carried into the room. "What's in that?"

He pulled out a few pieces of clothing. "-Our disguises."

"So we really are going undercover..."

"Indeed. I had to contact Queen to make sure your size was right. We’ll try them on in the morning."

She tilted her head, attempting to remember when she ever caught him talking with anybody . "When did you have the time to do all of this..?"

"I've planned our entire journey before we ever left Valencia.” He set it aside and handed her a smaller bag that contained her things. “We'll head to Santo Pollo tomorrow."