Xgran

Knock knock knock! "Oh noo, the knock of doom." Ashley groaned, still half asleep. He hadn't woken up and now he was paying the price. "Rise and shine Ashley!" Elenor called out in a sing-song voice. He ripped himself out of his warm, soft, and inviting bed to go put some day clothes on. "What day is it?" He thought. Then he remembered it was the weekend. He was free! Free from the shackles of education! Free from the tyranny of algebra! Free fro- "Ah." The memory of his mother talking about him and his sister visiting their grandma fell on him like a well aimed joke. Except it had the opposite effect.
Once he had flattened his hair to his satisfaction and got changed he hopped down the stairs (He hopped down the stairs metaphorically, not physically. That would be dangerous as well as very hard) to the kitchen. Julie and his mom were at the table. Elenor had her phone out. The kettle was boiling on the stove. He served himself some bacon. (A generic sample people around there consumed) And put two toasts in the toaster.
Two heated minutes later the toasts jumped in excitement at the prospect of being devoured. Ashley sat down at the table and was just about to put a piece of toast in his mouth when his mom said. "Could you go get the tea Ashley?" while nodding her head towards the kettle. With a silent grumble he put his disappointed toast back on the plat to rejoin its sibling. He served Julie and Elenor some tea and sat back down and ate. that. toast.
After eating they got in the car so that Elenor could drop them off at their granny's house. 
"So, why are you taking us to Mamie's again?" asked Julie from the back seat of the car. (Mamie means grandma)
"Because I need to go take care of organising the market for tomorrow," Elenor explained from the front seat of the car.
When they arrived they got out on to the gray concrete side-walk and walked up to the house where Julie and Ashley's granny lived. Elenor rang the white door bell. After a period of time past (in which they heard numerous noises of things moving) the figure of a little old lady could be seen in the frame of the door.
"Bonjour ma chérie!" said the little old lady to Elenor.
She then looked past Elenor and saw Ashley and Julie.
"Oh 'and 'ello you two! Come in, come in!" She added with her french accent.
They walked inside the house. It there was a wooden grandfather clock hanging on the entrance wall on the right. The slow "tick, tock" always calmed Ashley.
"Tabarnak!" went their grandma. She had tripped but Elenor caught her just in time. They walked to the kitchen where they sat down on the table's chairs.
Florence (Ashley's grandma) bustled around to put the kettle on.
"I won't have any," Elenor told Florence. "I've got to be at the market right about-," she raised her left wrist to her face to read her analog watch. "Now."
"I'll be back this evening, be good!" Elenor said, while preparing to go back out. Then they heard the door close. "This is going to be a long day," Ashley thought, resigned to his fate.
By now the kettle was boiling. Florence added the tea and placed three cups of the liquid on the table and sat herself down on a chair. She was a short, strong lady, with a shock of tight black curly hair.
"How, are you?" Julie asked her grandma in french. She said it slowly, practicing, focusing on each word.
"Yes thank you my darling!" replied Florence. (She tended to have this airy way of speaking, as well as putting lots of exclamation marks).
Then she turned to Ashley, he looked down at his empty cup, desperately hoping she wouldn't talk to him in French.
"Tea, Ashley?" she asked him in English.
"Ouff," thought Ashley, he was safe.
Out load he said: "Yes please Mamie."
Florence served them and then sat down with a little sigh of content.
After some time a thought occurred to Ashley.
"Mamie," he began tentatively. "Do you ever remember Papy being interested in electronics?"
Julie sharply turned her head and shot a  him a questioning look
"What are up to Ashley?" She thought.
After a moments silence Florence answered.
"Well towards the end he was spending a lot of time..." she trailed off. Then she continued. "Well, not that that matters anymore, now, who's up for scrabble? Oh! And did I tell you that I made an account to post online scrabble games? I call myself Xgran!"
There came a spluttering noise from Ashley's right. He turned and saw his sister coughing up the tea. (You couldn't blame her, Ashley could barely contain himself either.)
Later that day, and after many debates over the philosophical meaning of what a word was (usually ending with a gruff acceptance of the "word" ) Ashley and Julie were in the hallway getting ready to leave. They were leaning against the wall while putting their shoes on, when Julie bumped against Ashley. At the time he had only been standing on one foot, since the other was having a shoe put on it.
This explains why Ashley started tilting down the side of the wall. The big clock broke his fall. It still caused the old clock to tilt dangerously to one side. He grabbed the clock just before it fell, there was a sound like paper falling, but it seemed fine. A sigh of relief escaped his lips.
"Thanks a lot for that, nearly broke the clock," he told Julie.
"Sorry," she replied with chagrin.
They finished getting ready to leave and then shouted to their mom to go.
Elenor had got back a while ago and had been chatting to Florence ever since.
"I'm gunnu go see what they're up to," Julie said with an annoyed sigh.
Tired and alone in the hallway, Ashley laid his head against the wall, and that's when he noticed something. From his perspective against the wall he could see behind the clock. Something was behind the it. Kneeling, he stretched out his arm to reach the white object.