(4) Nothing More, and Nothing Less

Once we've been walking in silence for about five minutes, Ellie suddenly stops me. Without a word, she takes my arm and leads me to the side of a building off the path of the sidewalk, and as I'm about to ask what she's doing, she holds a finger to my lips.

"I just wanted to give you a little therapy session. We're almost at Jonah's house, assuming that's where he is currently, so I just thought I'd reassure you a bit."

"Reassure me? How?" I ask her, ignoring the few stares we get by those who pass us. We're right out in the open, after all. "Why can't you just reassure me as we walk?"

"That's not important," she quickly says, shaking her hands from side to side. "Lionel, I just want to tell you that you'll be okay. Eric's asking a lot of us, of you, but he did it for a reason. You're smart, so you'll know what to do."

I stare at her with narrowed eyes. "I'm not sure I will, Ellie. This is murder, not a devious little party trick. I don't think I--"

"I'll help you," she interrupts me, taking a half-step closer. She really is beautiful, though I feel creepy for thinking it. "You're doing this so you can live, Lionel, and so am I. I admire that. You're so determined to stay alive that you're willing to take on something so big. Think of it like that when you start to feel scared, okay?"

I mean, how can I say no that face?

However, as I open my mouth to say "Okay", she suddenly grabs my shoulders with both hands, pulls her body against mine, and before I know it, she's kissing me. I have no time to react, and by the time I do, it's like I'm already responding unconsciously. After the initial shock of the gesture, I let my eyelids flutter closed like hers, and eventually find my arms wrapping around her waist. Her arms transition from my shoulders to my neck, and I begin to finally kiss her back. I can't help but lose myself in her. I almost forget that nearly everyone walking past has a front-seat view of our intimacy, but I can't bring myself to care in the moment.

Once she finally pulls away, I feel completely flustered. It's a strange feeling, and definitely one I've never felt before. However, while I must look shocked and bewildered, she merely looks delighted. The smile on her pale face is enough to cure cancer.

"Oh, if only Eric could have seen that," she mutters, laughing under her breath. "You're good, Enright. That was enjoyable."

"What am I good at? Kissing?" I ask, probably sounding like an underage imbecile.

"Hell yeah," she responds nonchalantly, nudging me with her elbow. "Plus, I thought that would relax you a bit. Release some tension, if anything. Did it work?"

To be completely honest, I feel like she's partially right. Though the thought of our task hasn't left my head, I feel less jittery than before. The chills I once had, previously combined of fear and adrenaline, are now ones of pep and excitement. It's astonishing how drastically a single gesture such as this can change my feelings so quickly.

"I'd be lying if I said it didn't," I admit, allowing a tiny grin to form on my face. "You're something, Ellie. I've said it before, and I'll say it again now."

She fake-curtsies and smiles in return. "I suppose I'll take that as a compliment."

"You should, considering that's what it is."

I notice the faintest of blushes sprinkled across her cheeks, and I take pride in knowing that I flattered her. Adjusting my shirt collar with one hand, she leans in close to me once again and gives me a quick kiss on the cheek before skipping ahead. "Well, that's nice to hear, Mr. Valedictorian. You want to get walking again? The house is right up ahead, see."