Chapter 10

Sageheart woke up, feeling the warmness of Mudfoot's fur. She nudged him awake. When she felt his eyes burning into her pelt, as she yawned.

"Can you get Lunarleaf?" She meowed gracefully.

"Anything for you, Sageheart." Mudfoot purred back. As he walked away, SageHeart started coughing. When Lunarleaf arrived, she gasped.

"The kits are coming!" Lunarleaf cried, as she rushed back to her den to get herbs. Cats started to crowd her. Mudfoot started panicking, but at last Lunarleaf came back with herbs dangling from her jaws. She then started to apply a herb to her stomach. Lunarleaf handed her one, signaling with her tail for Sageheart to eat it. She ate the herb, it tasting weird. Then pain ripped through her like a wildfire.

"Is she going to die?!" Sageheart heard Mudfoot mew.

"Probably not." Lunarleaf mumbled in reply.

"Probably?!"

Sageheart then felt nothing, as if her entire body went numb. Cries from kits could be heard.

"See? She's not dead." Lunarleaf meowed. Sageheart looked down to see a red-ish pelt, with brown splotches, kit, alongside one with a white pelt, and brown ears.

"Are they she-cats?" Sageheart asked Lunarleaf.

"Indeed they are."

Relief flooded over her. The pain was over. Mudfoot nudged her shoulder.

"What should we name them?" He whispered.

"She can be named Primkit."Sageheart flicked her tail to the kit with brown splotches.

"The other can be named Rosekit." Mudfoot licked both of the kits' ears.

"Everyone out!" Lunarleaf demanded. Sageheart looked at the daring she-cat. She could've been made a good warrior. However I respect her choice of following this path. Sageheart admitted. She looked again at Primkit, and Rosekit, feeling overjoyed.

"So, where's Owlstalk?" Sageheart asked Mudfoot.

"Probably on patrol, or in the warrior's den." He responded.

"Leaf-bare is on the horizon." SageHeart mumbled as a chill went through her spine. We need more warriors now than ever! A tabby she-cat walked in.

"Hello Sageheart." Doewing, the tabby, meowed. "I brought you some fresh-kill." She laid down a skinny squirrel.

"How's hunting going along?" Sageheart dared to ask.

"Not good. Yesterday, I went on a hunting patrol, and caught nothing!" Doewing nervously replied.

"But it's not even Leaf-bare yet?" Sageheart gasped.

"I hope those new kits of yours become apprentices and help the clan." Doewing yawned, "Anyway, I'm going on another hunting patrol." She walked away. Does the clan count on me? On my kits? Sageheart feared.