Guest Room

For a moment Belle had frowned. Where had she heard the name Mr. Gold? Where... Then it hit her.

Her eyes widened.

"You- you're Mr. Go- Gold?" She stuttered in shock. She'd never seen him before, she wasn't surprised she had never seen him before. She had moved to Storybrooke a few years ago with her father.

Mr. Gold tilted his head to the side. "As far as I'm concerned, yes, I am. I see my reputation proceeds me." He muttered.

He had to admit that he wasn't pleased that his name had such a reaction from her.

"I've only heard of you." She answered, biting her tongue to not say anything more of what she knew about him.

Belle remembered the day she had to give up one of her rare books. Gus, her fiancé had told her they would have to sell it if they wanted to keep their apartment.

She was first reluctant to give it up, but a slap on the face quickly changed that. She wasn't being selfish, but if he would have quit drinking than she wouldn't have had to given it up.

"The townspeople can hold a grudge and choose to exaggerate their tales." Mr. Gold bitterly said, looking at her. It was no secret that the town loved making up stories beyond believable about him, some have gone as far as saying that he was one of Satan's spawns. Had this woman chosen to believe anything she had heard?

Belle shrugged and suddenly yawned. He stared at her for a moment before he spoke.

"I can see you are exhausted from todays events. So why don't I show you your guest bedroom, I can't have you sleeping on the couch when there is a spare bedroom with a comfortable bed. I might as well get you something to sleep in while I'm at it." He suggested.

"Tomorrow we will talk more and see what I can do for you."

She nodded and stood up but she sat back down when she applied weight onto her feet. Mr. Gold had remembered the blood on there. The scratches and cuts must hurt her. He swiftly moved towards her to assist by offering his free hand (the other holding onto his cane).

Belle immediately took his hand he offered, and then placed her arm around his shoulder for more support. He had flinched at the sudden physical contact but allowed her to. He had to rely even more heavily on his cane and place more weight of his lame leg. Shards of pain shot through his leg, however he didn't display any signs of discomfort, as he was unaccustomed to reveal any said weaker emotions. Gold couldn't say the same for Belle. Pain shown on her face from applying pressure on her feet. Mr. Gold could tell she was trying hard not to have him carry much of her weight.

They made slow progress as he lead her into a hallway and stopped in front of his room.

"Do you think you'll be all right long enough for me to retrieve some clothing?" He questioned.

She nodded and then let go of him and leaned against the wall.

He walked into his room. Once inside, he moved to his drawer and took out a pair of light blue silk pj's.

'This will have to do for now.' He thought as he walked back out.

"You may borrow these for now." He muttered as he showed her before tucking the pajamas under his arm. 

"Thank you." She quietly said as she once again wrapped her arm over his shoulder. He assumed she was growing tired when she stood more flush against him to keep herself upright and perhaps to make her stepping as painless as possible.

He nodded and limped towards a room next to his. He leaned his cane against the wall to fish for a key in his pocket. He unlocked the door and slowly pushed the door further open. Once again he retrieved his cane.