The Accident

More Screechpaw! Base by Louixie.

Hopepaw pretended to sleep, as Adderstar and the deputy, Lynxfury, talked in hushed, urgent voices. She knew it was rude to eavesdrop, but she needed any drama she could get. After being confined to her nest and the camp for three days, boredom seemed like it would kill her, rather than the wounds to her shoulder. They were almost healed, and she could leave for the first time later in the day. But for now, listening in on conversations would have to do.

"If we have one more incident with EmberClan, we'll have a full-on war on our paws. We can't have any more cats stealing or arguing across the borders!" 

"I know, but how do we stop it? I've talked to the Clan. They said they'd disengage with the borders, but every day, or every few days, there's a new report."

"We've got to catch the cats doing the stealing. That, or stop patrolling the border, but that might be worse."

"Right. We'll figure it out." Adderstar finished halfheartedly, touching his nose to his deputy's. "I love you, Lynxfury. We'll prevent this war, alright? You don't need to worry." Lynxfury pressed against him affectionately. "I know we will. Love you too, Adderstar." Hopepaw lay silently in her nest. I didn't know they were that close. They never even said they were mates. 

The two cats padded away, and Hopepaw waited a moment to stand up, so as not to raise suspicions. When she deemed it safe, she padded out of the shallow cave in the wall that held the Apprentice's den and headed for the fresh-kill hole. The hunting patrols were evidently still out, and nothing but feathers, and part of a shrivelled-up starling. She wrinkled her nose at it and turned away. Who leaves half of a bird in the hole? Either eat it or don't. 

Just when she was about to accept her fate of terrible boredom, Tumblesoar slipped into the cave. His ears pricked when he saw her, and he padded over to his apprentice. "Do you think you're ready to go outside? How do you feel?"

"Good! I'm ready to go out. Please, I'm sick of being down here."

"Alright, but nothing too strenuous. We didn't want those claw marks opening up again." Hopepaw groaned inwardly at his words. That probably means we'll be hunting... Well, it's better than being down in this cursed pit. As she looked closer at her mentor, waiting for him to move, she saw that his eyes were slightly red-tinged, and his nose was running. "You okay...?"

"Yeah, I just might be coming down with a cold. It's fine." He meowed dismissively. "Let's go."

                                                                             ~❆~

The sun shone warm on Hopepaw's long fur as she padded down into the forest. As she grew and got older, her fur had gone from kit-fluffy to more long, and silky. It still held some of its cloud-like qualities but wasn't entirely the same. Tumblesoar walked in front of her, not saying anything for once. A muted sniffle could be heard occasionally, but that was all. 

She knew they were heading in the direction of a cove of beech trees, probably to hunt squirrels. But as they drew nearer to the desired hunting grounds, she smelled the acrid, smoky scent of EmberClan. She stiffened, and a low growl rumbled from her mentor's throat. Hackles raised, and she stalked quickly up beside Tumblesaoar. "Trespassers," He rasped angrily. "Look." She squinted and saw a flash of ginger, almost pink-tinged-and-black fur, and the glint of a pair of fiery eyes. They widened as they met Hopepaw's, and the strange cat froze. "Hey! This is BleakClan land!" She yowled, stepping forward a bit. "Scram, EmberClan scum-" 

But before she could say or do anything rash, Tumblesoar placed a paw on her shoulder. "Stop, let me handle it. This cat has been scented multiple times across the border, and she's only a young apprentice. Likely a scout or bait." Tumblesoar explained hurriedly, heading toward the cat. But before he could get close, she darted into the trees in the direction of the border, only stopping to yank something out of a low-growing shrub. A magpie. Stolen off of BleakClan's territory. Its wings dragged as she fled, and Tumblesoar began to sprint after the intruder. "Prey stealer! Get back here!"