Prologue: The Day I Swore Off Heroes

Kaachan and I have been best friends for as long as I can remember. Wherever he was, I was and vice versa. Very rarely were we apart. If I wanted to go get food he'd come with me. When he wanted to go to the library I was always right behind him. When I found out All Might was sick by happenstance, he found out as well. Both of us were cutting across that alley. So of course when he told me that he was going to the theater to watch the new movie I was heading there after finishing the lunch my mom had made me.

    I'll never forget the sight I saw when I went around the corner to the theater. This green sludge monster had ahold of Kaachan. Heroes weren't doing anything to even try to save him. What's worse, I saw All Might standing to the side. He was hidden in the crowd of spectators. Kaachan was suffocating and no one was doing anything.

    That day my feet had moved on their own. I had rushed forward, trying to get to my best friend. Kaachan needed saving, and if the heroes weren't going to do something then I would.

    I started clawing at the sludge in a desperate attempt to get air to Kaachan's lungs. Before I could break through though the villain swatted me away. It was mixed with Kaachan's explosions. This villain was able to use Kaachan's body and quirk. I have never been hit with his quirk before. It hurt so much, and and I couldn't hear over the ringing in my ears. Since the blast hit the right side of my face, and some sparks got in my eye, I was struggling to see as well. That didn't stop me though.

    I tried again, only to be stopped by Kamui Woods this time. He pulled me back, calling me an idiot for rushing in. I'm just a kid, he said. I'm just a kid and I need to run and stay safe. It didn't matter to him that that was my best friend. It didn't matter that none of the heroes were even trying. All that mattered is I get away.

    While being yelled at I looked at Kaachan. He had tears in his eyes. I could see him trying to fight, to get to me. Then it happened. The explosions stopped. Kaachan lost consciousness. The villain dropped him and ran off to the sewers.

    Kamui continued to restrain me so I couldn't run to him. Medical personnel rushed over to him. It didn't take a much for me to figure out that I had just lost my best friend.

    His body was taken away without me even getting to say goodbye. Instead i just got a bunch of heroes lecturing me. The ringing was still going on in my ears so it was all muffled. I knew what they were saying though. What I did was very stupid. What was I supposed to do though? Let him die without anyone trying to help? If being a hero means standing by while a kid is in danger then why would I want to be one?

    I saw All Might watching the heroes lecture me. All Might, the number one hero, the man who's record says that when he is on sight no civilian has ever died. He was on sight that day. He was on sight and my best friend still died. No one else knew he was there though.

    Heroes, they stand by when their quirks aren't perfect for the situation. Heroes keep secrets and lie. Heroes will just let a kid who worshipped the profession die in front of them. Heroes won't even let the kid's friend say goodbye. For these reasons I swore off "heroes" as a whole.