| 02 |: Mosaic of Memories

"(Y/n), please! Just talk to me! We can work it out together!"

The scholars in the foyer stopped to stare at Kaveh desperately chasing you as you strode inside the Akademiya with unusual ferocity. The moment their gazes landed on you, whispers floated around you like an incessant melody - it felt as if their voices were forming a tight ring around your head, making you rub your ears vigorously as if that would quell their hushed words.

"How could the Akademiya let a student like her stay here?"

"How could the Akademiya let such a monster stay alive?"

"She should just leave quietly."

"Die here quietly."

Your eyes widened. Their voices overlapped with the voices in your memories, and this caused your blood to run cold. You stopped in your tracks abruptly, palms pressed against your ears as you tried to drown out their hurtful words; while you were able to muffle their voices, the last words Azar spoke to you before you died all those years ago rang in the place of silence in your mind. Tears pricked the corners of your eyes, blurring your vision, but you refused to let them fall - to admit defeat to the scholars' provocation.

Even in your new life, you can't find the peace that you desired back then.

"If she wasn't such an accomplished student, the Amurta Darshan would have already expelled her for her behaviour-"

"(Y/n)!"

You were startled when a pair of warm hands suddenly cupped over yours. They gently pressed against your hands - it was obvious that the person was trying to help you cover your ears.

"Are you okay?"

It was Kaveh. He sounded worried, yet there's an underlying frustration in his tone. He's struggling to understand your sudden change in behaviour; as your older brother, he felt as if he failed to live up to the promise he had made to his mother before she left for Fontaine after remarrying. Upon seeing the tears gathering in your eyes, Kaveh's gaze softened before he tilted your face up, his hands moving towards your cheeks to carefully wipe away your tears that had unknowingly escaped.

"Do your ears hurt?" he asked, "Should we go to Bimarstan to get them checked?"

"Take me to Azar," was your immediate answer. Surprise flickered in his red hues.

"Azar?" he echoed, knitting his eyebrows together, "Why do you want to see the former Grand Sage?"

You faltered at his question, jaw going slightly slack. "Former Grand Sage? Then who-"

"As expected." Heavy footfall echoed from behind as a pair of boots thudded across the Akademiya's polished marble floor. "The moment I heard the word 'trouble', I knew that it had to involve the two of you."

Kaveh's expression immediately turned sour when a certain Acting Grand Sage appeared beside you, and he quickly moved his hands to your shoulders to pull you behind him, like he was trying to shield you from the man who just made himself known. Al-Haitham folded his arms over his chest as he regarded the siblings with an impassive gaze.

"Though I didn't expect the argument to be about you wishing to withdraw from the Akademiya. I thought it'd be something petty as usual," he dully remarked, eyes trailing over to you. You stiffened when you made eye contact with him. "You've always wanted to study here and proved that by becoming a distinguished student of the Amurta Darshan. I won't push for an answer, but why do you suddenly want to throw everything away after the efforts and sacrifices made to get to where you are?"

"This has nothing to do with you, Al-Haitham," Kaveh swiftly interjected, annoyed by his unwarranted intrusion. The look he was giving his roommate clearly indicated that he doesn't want you to know more than you should about how you're able to stay in the Akadmeiya despite his financial situation; if Al-Haitham saw the look he was given, then he most likely ignored it as he kept talking.