A Wonderful World - Ch. 1

I thought I was gonna die.

( January 20, 2023. 2:50pm )

Out of boredom. English subject is pretty easy for me to understand and Mr. Evers talks as slow as a turtle. And as soon as I thought about it, I started to feel drowzy.

Mr Evers was a tall, American man aged 65, wearing white-and-black polka dot polo shirt, beige pants and brown shoes. He was completely bald with grey hair on his sideburns, and he always kept a pencil above his ear.

"Ramirez! Are you sleeping again?!" Mr. Evers shouted. "Just because you're the top of the class, does not mean you can do anything you want!"

I felt nervous, as I abruptly wake up, and scratched my eyes. Mr. Evers continued teaching, as I now looked around.

The room was like any other classrooms that you can find in any elementary school. Cream colored walls decorated with drawings all over the back wall of the room, brown, dusty wooden floor shelves full of books. The windows were wood-framed and were pretty dusty.

As I examined the room, the school bell started to ring, and my classmates rushed out of the room before Mr. Evers could say a word. I ran out as well, excited to go home.

I rush through the hallways leading to the main gate of the school. There, I saw my mom, Sarah Ramirez, talking to one of the head teachers.

My mom wore a white button up shirt, beige pants and heels. She had her left hand in her pocket, and used her other hand to gesture as she talked, worrily, to the head teacher.
Her skin-tone was kayumanggi, with lipstick, and other cosmetics. She had a grim, worrying expression until she spotted me over a distance, which immediately turned into a smile.

"Mama!" I called out, as I jog over to her, and hugged her tightly. "I missed you."

"Let's go home na," she said. She may have a calm, soft-spoken voice but I knew better. Because if she gets angry, even dad has to listen. Nothing like a true, Filipino mom.

"Okay! Bye Mrs. Sanchez!" I waved to the 5"5 tall teacher with floral shirt and black pants, aged 30. She waved back, but with a happy but worried expression.

. . .

( January 20, 2023. 3:30pm )

My mom and I walked back to her black Toyota Avanza, and she drove home. I looked out the window the streets of Los Angeles. I always loved being quiet and just watching the streets as we pass by. Mom promised that we'll eat today, so that's what we'll do. But for now, the streets were pretty busy, with cars flooding all over the streets.

We arrived at the kid's park. "I'll go get us some food. You stay here, okay?" Mom said. I simply nodded, and watched her as she walked away. When she was out of sight, I smiled mischievously, and explored the park.

It was just like one of those parks. Green grass, some trees, lots of slides, seesaws, and whatnot. I'd approach the other kids, and played with them as well.

We played dodgeball. And it did not go well. All the kids kept missing me. I hopped from one spot to another, over and over again, until I tripped and fell, my back against the ground.

Everything was fuzzy, until I experienced pain in my back. I panicked, and shouted for my mom.
"Mom!" I kept calling out.

The kids ran away, and my mom, coincidentally, was jogging towards me, dropping the food that she bought for me and her. She slowly lifted me up, and I saw her gasp.