Chapter 9: Introducing Boy Genius

A/N: Hello, loovveess~! I hope you have all enjoyed these few months away. ( つ︣﹏╰)Sorry again about that...but I do adore that you're here! Well, don't let me keep you any longer!

Alsoalso, happy Juneteenth!!! 🎉🎉🎉

~~~

As the lift dings to signify it's made it to the second floor of the manor, Altair lets out another sigh. He hadn't anticipated his morning being uprooted by Master Kenway. He was knee-deep into his investigation and quite enjoying the peace and privacy provided by the room he nestled in. With thoughts of finishing his studies and then heading to the gym to work out, he was more than upset when the butler called for his presence. Now he is on the way to meet an ally he's certain he won't need and be detailed on things he's certain he already knows. Along with that, he'll once again have to deal with the oaf whose voice booms through the lift doors before the butler even opens them. His eyes roll, hoping the man will pass before noticing him.

At first, Altair thought the girl would be the only one he'd have to avoid while here but ever since her training, she's paid him little mind. A quiet greeting here, a small wave there. She's actually become quite bearable. Even the others have gotten the hint to steer clear of him. Auditore, however, is the same as he was when they worked together years ago. Though proficient in skill, he is loud, crude, and invasive. No matter how many times he'd glare or clearly ignore the man, he would converse as if they were long-time friends and even started hugging him. He'd prefer the girl's overstepping questions or uninteresting curiosities at this point. At least she knew when to stop talking, even if it took a while or he had to cave to one of her curiosities or desires. He was honestly missing that.

Thankfully the butler isn't opening the gates until the group passes and she steps to the side so Altair can walk out. Once he does, he looks to his left to see everyone filing into Kenway's office. He grunts quietly, preparing his low social battery so he can at least get through this meeting without sighing and rolling his eyes the entire time. And even though his deepest introverted thoughts are screaming at him to avoid this social confrontation, the butler is there to seemingly force him through those thoughts like an overbearing life coach. She stands behind him, waiting for him to lead the way. He uses up an eye roll, stuffing his hands in his jacket pockets before slowly making his way to the office.

The bookshelf and door have already been opened when they enter and the voices coming from inside are quieter and less excitable than before, giving Altair a small wave of relief. Seems the echoing chamber gives the oaf a reason to settle down. Passing the threshold of the lab, his shoes tap against the metal floor and he scans the room to take in the people in it while the butler excuses herself and shuts the door.

Everyone who was here last week is here again. Jacob sits down at the head of the round table, swinging his feet up to perch atop it. Arno and Ezio are sitting next to him, sparking conversation. Henry is busing himself with some chart at the corkboard, which the girl seems interested in, peering over his shoulder with her hands tucked in her pockets. Connor and Edward stand in a corner talking amongst themselves. Evie is standing at the counter with the computers, looking over someone who was sitting in front of one, typing away frantically with one hand. Altair squints.

He's the new boy.

The boy must have felt his odd stare at the back of his head. He turns suddenly, trying to pin where it's coming from but when their eyes connect he freezes. Then, without hesitation, he turns back around in his chair. Altair squints again.

"Well, if it isn't il diavolo himself!" Altair's eyes rake over slowly, frown deepening almost painfully as his thoughts are interrupted, "It's almost been an entire week since I've seen that long face." Ezio is rounding the table and wraps an arm around Altair's shoulders before he can even react, "I'm starting to think you've been avoiding me."