Chapter Three

I wake to the warmth of the early morning sun cast upon my face. I peel my eyes open, blinking several times to try and shake the haze of sleep. I sit up tossing the fur blanket from my body. Rubbing my aching eyes I sigh dragging myself from the bed. After dressing I grab my satchel and head down to the bar.

The bar is filled with soft music and chattering people. Taking one last glance around I leave, hoping to get an early start to my travels.

Stepping out of the tavern I see the pack village roaring with life. I take in the sweet scent of cool summer air. Walking wordlessly through the village I watch as the people move happily about. Children run freely through the streets while vendors set up for the day ahead. A smile tugs at my lips as walk. I reach the village outskirts taking on final look around. Gripping my satchel tightly I make my way to the dense forest path.

     The sound of leaves rustling in the wind is a soft melody in my ears. Closing my eyes I allow the peaceful sound to calm me.

     Am I really making the right choice?

     I shake my head and begin to walk farther into the forests. The light peeking through the trees gives the forest a glowing, peaceful look.

"Hey, hold on," I stiffen at the unexpected voice that calls out to me.

A familiar musky scent fills my nose as I turn around. Ricky stands behind me a wide grin plastered on his face. A large bag hangs over his shoulder.

"Are you following me?" I question with a frown.

He smiles and then tosses something to me, without thinking I catch the item. Looking down I see he past me a piece of bread. I look back at him as he approaches closer.

"I noticed you left without eating and figured you might be hungry," he says.

I glance up at him with a sneer.

"Why are you following?" I question again.

Ricky laughs, stepping closer to me.

"I am not following you, not purposely at least," he laughs, placing a hand over his lips.

The look on his face taunts me, as I take in his figure. Ricky is a tall but slender man, with lightly tanned skin. The ends of his black hair hang just above his brows, with beads of water falling from the ends. He wears a dark blue cloak, with the hood pulled over his head. The collar of his white tunic is open slightly revealing part of his toned chest.

"What is that supposed to mean," I scoff.

"Well sweetheart I told you last night, we are both headed to the royal city... and this happens to be the only path," he points out.

I sigh running a hand through my hair, "Then I guess I'm stuck with you."

Ricky grins widely, coming up to place an arm around me.

"Come don't look so glum sweetheart, I make a great travel companion," he winks.

I shove him off with a grimace.

"Just leave me alone and we won't have any problems," I grumble.

Looking down at the bread in my hand I give in to temptation and take a bite.

"Honestly you're such a stiff, sweetheart. Cheer up a little will ya, you will enjoy this trip a lot more if you do," he jokes in a sugary voice.

     "Are you always this annoying?" I ask.

     "Are you always this grumpy?" He fires back.

     I smile tightly, clenching my fists.

     "I've had a shitty couple of days, so excuse me if I'm not shitting rainbows," I huff walking past him.