two of you (chapter one)

I close my eyes as laughter filled the air.

I need to breathe.

I am officially an idiot.

Choosing to have a part time job as a substitute teacher was a bad idea.

Really, really bad.

The walls of the classroom were pastel and the noticeboard was full of decorations and notes.

The floor was littered with pieces of paper, leftover gum and broken colour pencils.

It was a fantastical nightmare.

It was unreal.

Actually.

When I walked into class, the children just ignore me and continue flinging paper aeroplanes at each other's head and having a paper ball fight.

The lesson itself was chaotic.

"You actually want to do this?" I scream as Jacob, the class clown, poured clear glue onto my table.

He gives a small smirk as he poured even more.

The nerve of kids these days.

"I'm literally so done," I say, running my hands through my already messy, already tangled up hair.

"Miss Blair," Anthony, the chubby boy with a crumpled t- shirt that said "GET AWAY FROM ME" calls in a sickeningly sweet voice.

"Yes?" I answer through a loud sigh.

"What is one plus one?" he asks.

What was he, a toddler?

"Two," I reply.

"WRONG! IT'S THREE!" he yells.

The class erupts into laughter.

I roll my eyes.

"How do you figure?" I ask, regretting almost immediately.

"If I take one cookie and my mom gives me another, how many will I have, Miss Blair?" he asks through a fit of giggles.

"TWO!" I shout, absolutely tired of this class.

"NO! It's ONE because my mom never gives me any cookies!'' Anthony shouts back.

What an absolute idiot.

His mother was definitely right to not spoil the already bratty child.

The bell rang, sparing me from my torturous lesson and class.

The students excitedly left the classroom, a feeling I gladly shared with them.

Teaching middle school was not the ideal part time job, but as I had insisted on going to college, I had been forced by my parents to earn some extra cash.

I plopped down on my staffroom chair, which was a gamer chair my father got me.

It was adorned with a nice little pillow as I laid back to rest my tired eyes.

The air conditioner blessed me by blasting its merciful coolness on me and I breathed in deeply.

Where was an aspirin when I needed one?

"Hard day?" Levis asks.

He was my college classmate and friend, also here for a part time job.

"With these kids, every day is a hard day," I reply, eyes still closed.

"True. The thing is, college is so darn expensive!" he laments.

His desk was next to mine so I heard him sink into it. Rather loudly.