CHAPTER 1: Sky

I woke up in a cold sweat, looking around frantically as I tried to understand where I was. I saw my alarm clock to my left, saying it was 6:30 am. Sitting up, I swung my legs over the side of my bed and stood up. I walked over to my closet and grabbed some clothes: a white t-shirt, baggy blue jeans, and my black New Medicine hoodie. I quickly got changed and went into the bathroom, brushing my teeth and doing all I needed to do for the morning. Going back into my room, I threw on my black vans and walked over to my bedside table to grab my phone. When I looked at the screen it said it was 7 am. "Damn it," I mumbled, shoving my phone into my front pocket and grabbing my bag.

     I walked out of my room and went towards the kitchen, going over to the fridge and grabbing the milk jug and taking a few sips of it. I heard footsteps behind me and felt someone put their hand on my shoulder. I grabbed the hand, ducked under it, and twisted it behind the person's back. "Sky!" my mom shouted. I let go of her hand and said, "Sorry mum, I didn't know it was you." She laughed a bit and nodded. "Scared you, didn't I?" I shook my head yes as I put the cap back on the milk jug. "I told you if you want to drink milk in the mornings, you have to use a cup." she said, watching me as I put the jug back into the fridge. "Right, sorry," I apologized, knowing she was right. She shook her head and laughed, "I'll write your name on it so I don't end up getting your germs." 

     I smiled and rolled my eyes as I started to walk to the front door. "Aight, I'll see you tonight," I said as I opened the door, walking out towards my truck. I stopped as I realized I had forgotten my keys, so I turned around and ran back inside, nearly face-planting into the floor once I opened the door. My mom burst out laughing as she helped me up and handed me my keys. I smiled and gave her a quick thank you as I walked out the door, cursing at myself for being so clumsy. I got out to my truck and unlocked it, getting in and putting the keys in the ignition. I sat back in my seat, running my fingers through my hair and sighing. Leaning forwards, I put the shift in reverse, slowly backing out of the driveway. 

     I stopped and put the shift in drive, going to the end of the block before turning right. Soon, I felt like I wasn't in my body anymore; I felt like I was floating. I finally pulled into the school parking lot, putting my truck in park and getting out. As I turned to grab my bag I felt someone wrap their arms around my neck from behind. I grabbed their arms and got out of their hold, pulling them towards me before pinning their back against the side of my truck. I noticed that it was my friend-slash-crush, Star, and immediately let go. "Shit," I mumbled, "I gotta stop doing that." Star looked at me with a small smile and giggled, bringing a shy grin to my face. "Sorry about that hun," I said, rubbing the back of my neck in embarrassment. "It's fine," she said as she stepped forward and hugged me around my middle. I sighed and hugged back, feeling her relax into my body. She lifted her head and looked at me, her face and ears going red as she realized how close our faces were. 

     She slowly let go of me and leaned against the truck, her hands behind her back as she looked at the ground. I smiled and leaned forward, whispering in her ear, "Your ears are red Mi Amor." I took a step away and looked at her, seeing her raise her hands up to her ears and covering them. "Shut up," she mumbled, embarrassment clear in her voice. I chuckled and said in a quiet voice, "Make me." Her head shot up, her face two shades redder and said, "What?" I laughed as I started walking away, "Did I stutter?" She stood there for a bit before running to me, jumping on my back and wrapping her legs around my waist. I held her up by her thighs, ignoring the gay panic that was starting in my head. She nuzzled her face into the back of my neck, her nose just barely touching me, causing a shiver to run down my spine. "What are you doing?" I asked, cringing as my voice cracked. Star giggled as she said, "Nothing."

     I rolled my eyes as I started walking towards the school, a smile plastered on my face as I realized that it was only with her that I was ever truly happy.