Chapter 16 - Farewell to Storyville

I was still in the Bayou and while Hayley was mingling with the other werewolves, I sat by the bonfire, lost in my own thoughts.

I was thinking about my family and wondered what my life would've been like if they had never given me up, if I had grown up with Jackson . . . would I have ended up cursed as well, trapped in wolf form for most of my life?

I also found myself thinking back to the night I had hooked up with Klaus, I placed a hand on my belly as flashbacks ran through my mind. I had seen a different side to him and I've seen more of that side since coming to New Orleans.

I'm beginning to understand why Elijah cares about him so much, Klaus hides so much behind the mask he's created and there are times when he allows himself to be vulnerable and allows himself to care.

I'm the same way, I find it hard to trust people and I hide behind a brave face but in truth, I'm not as strong as I pretend to be. Over these past few months, I've realized just how much Klaus and I have in common.

Maybe that's the reason I slept with him because I could see behind his mask and see his true face.

Does that mean I care for him?

Before I could think about it any further, I saw a familiar blonde vampire approach me.

"Rebekah, what are you doing here?" I asked as I stood up.

"I came to say goodbye," she told me.

"What happened to us girls sticking together?" I asked as I crossed my arms.

I tried to hide how hurt I was that she was leaving but I couldn't.

"Well, Nik and I came to a sort of all or nothing arrangement. I leave town for good, he allows me to. I can't pass that up."

I shook my head and smiled. "A thousand years with Klaus, I guess you deserve a few vacation days."

"Listen, about Nik, he is a monster. Do not ever cross him."

I looked at her, letting her words sink in.

"But he does want more from life then to just be feared, he's too broken to find it himself but I do believe there is hope for him and the baby that you carry. And speaking of your child, our family has no shortage of enemies, she will inherit all of them. Please, be careful."

"You know you can always come back and visit," I told her. "I've been known to keep a secret or two from Klaus."

"Well, if I can't, you make sure to tell that little girl stories of her crazy Auntie Bex and let her know that despite my absence, I do love her very much."

We smiled at each other and before she could leave, I wrapped my arms around her, surprising us both.

"I hope you find the happiness you deserve," I whispered before letting her go.

I watched as she left the Bayou and I knew that I was gonna miss the bitch, it was then that I realized  had come to care for the entire Original family.