Truest - A Queer retelling of Snow White

Once upon a time, on a day where the winter chilled the kingdom so harshly that icicles could be seen growing on every square inch of the castle, a wish was made. The queen of this kingdom, who lived in this particular castle, sat at the window bench, staring out at the snow that fell softly on the ground. Queen Catherine White of the Kingdom of Belladonna, sighed as she admired the placing in which the snow settled itself upon the Earth. She liked how the snow looked on the leafless trees, and how the white blanket seemed to sparkle underneath the sunlight. "If I were to have a child," she whispered aloud to no one in particular. "their eyes would sparkle like this snow in the sun whenever they were joyful."

She ran a hand through her dark hair and sighed, "And the child would have ebony hair, like mine, so stunning and breathtaking, and cheeks that never pale; are only ever flush with happiness."

It was as if the Gods had heard Queen Catherine's silent decree, for a few weeks later, she was delivering the happy news to her husband, King Harold White, that she was with child. The King swelled with pride. This child was going to carry on the White family name. Already, King Harold had decided that he or she would be the finest ruler Belladonna had ever seen. He called to the maids and butlers, the footmen, and the advisors. The cook and the royal messenger were no exception. "Spread the word throughout the entire kingdom!" he announced. "My Wife, their darling Queen is with child! We shall have a feast so big, it will feed several armies! The finest music and decoration! A celebration that is sure to be remembered for years to come!"

So it was set. The following evening, the castle was bustling with villagers. The party took place in the ballroom which was decorated floor to ceiling in gold and white; the Kingdom's colors. They greeted the Majesties warmly, congratulated them on becoming parents, and immersed themselves in the festivities. Some people even brought gifts for the child. A young guard in training brought the child a small toy sword. His wife would also be having a baby. The Queen took it with a smile on her face that made her cheeks look rosy. "Thank you, Ymir. I'll be sure to make certain that he or she gets plenty of sword practice."

Ymir Sinclair bowed. "It is my pleasure, your Majesty."

Next was a pair of women about Catherine's age. They held a blanket between the two of them, the fabric an assortment of all different types of colors. "My Queen," spoke the woman on the left. She wore her hair in a loose bun and a green and brown dress. "we hope you will humbly accept our offering to the young prince or princess." The two women bowed at the same time and held out the quilt.

King Harold came up to be beside his wife. He looked at the two women and the offering they held, and grinned. "My, what lovely fabric!" He touched the quilt lightly with one hand, examining it with extreme interest. "What are your names?" He asked, lifted his head.

The women straightened after Catherine retrieved the quilt from them. "My name is Carla Wells, your Majesty." said the woman on the left. She then gestured to her right. "And this is my wife, Brook Wells."

Brook blushed. "I-it's an h-honor, your Grace." She looked like she might faint at any moment.

King Harold hummed with satisfaction. "And what is it that you two ladies do to make a living?"

"We are seamstresses, Highness," answered Carla. "We made clothes for the villagers around town, as well as fabrics like quilts and placemats."

"Very interesting!" Queen Catherine exclaimed. "This quilt is very beautiful. It seems we will be have to do business in the future with you ladies." She looked at her husband. "Isn't that right, dear?"

The king was still beaming as he gave a small nod. "Certainly."

Now both women looked pale and ready to faint. "T-thank you, Your Majesties!" stuttered Carla. "We'll be happy to work with you!"