05. Curiosity

Sept 1, 1995

Sera felt a wave of relief wash over her when the Hogwarts Express started moving, its steady rhythm providing a much-needed distraction from the uncomfortable journey to King's Cross Station with the Malfoys. However, her peace was short-lived as she soon found herself wandering through in search of an empty compartment. She scanned the crowded train, looking for a friend, but each one seemed to be already full of chattering students. There seemed to be only one empty compartment left, so she spun around to Draco, hoping he had a solution, but he simply shrugged in response.

"Looks like we'll have to share then," he said with a smirk. She groaned.

"Great. As if I haven't already had enough of you today," she muttered. Draco gave her a nudge from behind.

"Get on with it, Avery, I won't bite," he said.

She made her way into the compartment, taking the window seat, while Draco sat opposite to her. Sera tried to look out at the view, but she couldn't concentrate on the scenery as the Hogwarts Express chugged along - she was too aware of Draco's eyes on her.

"Stop looking at me," she snapped. "What do you want?"

"Nothing, you just look... different." he said, his smirk widened as he chuckled. Sera raised an eyebrow.

"Different? How so?"

"Dunno. Less frumpy. Perhaps you're finally growing into your teeth," he taunted, "Who knows, maybe this is the year you finally get a boyfriend, huh, Avery?" Leave it to Draco Malfoy to turn a compliment into an insult.

"I've had a boyfriend before, you git," she huffed, rolling her eyes.

"Being asked to the Yule Ball by a Durmstrang as a last resort doesn't make him your boyfriend," Draco responded with a cruel laugh. Sera glared at him, her eyes blazing with fury. Before she could respond, the compartment door was flung open, cutting the tense atmosphere.

"DRACO," squealed a voice Sera unfortunately recognized. Pansy Parkinson immediately plopped herself onto Draco's lap and Sera wondered to herself if that was really necessary when there was a perfectly fine empty seat right next to him. Pansy's voice was like the sound of nails on a chalkboard, high-pitched and grating. Sera grimaced in disgust as she watched Pansy smother Draco with kisses, grasping his face as if he were some sort of prized possession that she had won.

"Draco - you've barely - written to me - all summer!" she exclaimed in an appallingly squeaky voice in between smooches. Sera smirked to herself at his look of irritation.

"Okay, okay, that's enough," Draco said, annoyed by the smug look coming from Sera across from him. He shooed Pansy off of him, relieved to be free of her clingy embrace. Pansy spun around and finally noticed Sera, directing her shrill voice towards her.

"What are you doing here, Avery?" she said.