Chapter 1: On the February...

It was a nice evening in February. There was some snow on the streets that even mice could walk through. Most of the mice stayed inside their homes, preparing some cards and gifts. Surprisingly, Baker Street wasn't an exception.

In Baker Street, Elizabeth was making the cards, while Basil and Dawson were sitting, drinking tea, and reading the newspaper.

"Here you are, uncle," Elizabeth said and gave the finished card to Basil. Basil takes it and examines it. It was a card with a magnifying glass with ribbon and code writing.

"Not bad, dear niece. Your secret coding is improving." Basil said.

"But Elizabeth, it's not Valentine yet?" Dawson said.

"Oh, that day doesn't mean much to my uncle and me. So I gave this as soon as I made it. It's also more fun with secret coding." Elizabeth explained.

"Yes, she used to send cards on Valentine's Day, but after the "Broken Valentine" case, I said she can give me any day whether she wants, Valentine's Day or not," Basil said before.

"I still have one for you, doctor. But I can give it to you later."

"That's quite alright, dear," Dawson said. "You know, I like to hear about this 'Broken Valentine' case."

"I don't know... It happened almost a year ago."

"Well, why not tell me about it now? It's February." Dawson said.

"Well…"

Right then, someone knocks on the door, and Mrs. Judson goes to open the door. Then a lovely couple enters, which Basil and Elizabeth recognize immediately.

"Mommy! Papa!" Elizabeth cheers and runs to hug them.

Dawson was surprised to meet Elizabeth's parents. Her mother was lovely with the same eyes as Basil's. Hair in a bun and turquoise dress. Elizabeth's father was a handsome-looking fellow as well with an elegant yet simple outfit. The color of his eyes, nose, and fur indicate that Elizabeth has gotten her features from him.

"Long time no see, Cynthia," Basil said, still sitting on his armchair. "This is my friend and colleague Doctor Dawson. Dawson, my little sister and Elizabeth's mother, Cynthia, and her husband James Andermice." he introduced.

"Please to meet you both," Dawson said as he got up and greeted them.

"So, how was South America?" Basil asked.

"Amazing. We wanted to explore it more, but we needed to come back here. James's sister Anne is pregnant and we promised to come to see her. Then we'll go see relatives in Paris."

"Well, we did have the honor to meet Mr. and Mrs. Stilton in Scotland in the summer," Basil said. "And Sir Charles in his club."

"Why are you not in touch with the rest of your family?" Dawson asked.

"Andermice is one of the rich noble families in Mousedom, and as I told you, what kind of person Mrs. Andermice is, she wasn't happy when James chose my sister," Basil explained.

"But she is a lovely-looking lady," Dawson said.

"That wasn't the problem," James admits. "My mother kept saying she is too…"

"Wild, not staying still, no manners. Please, if by 'manners' she means being a snob, I'll rather be wild." Cynthia said.

"That's what I love about her," James says to Dawson. "I wouldn't be surprised if she joins for women's rights, which I don't mind."

"Try not to go in any movements. Mom's heart would break."

"No worries, brother. I'll do things passively." Cynthia said to Basil.