Chapter 2: The Unknown

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Betty's eyes widened as the glowing void continued to grow around her feet.

Your jaw dropped as you realized what the portal appeared from, realizing it was in the place the book had been in previously.

After snapping out of her frozen state the noirette immediately tried to lep out of it-- Unfortunately falling to her demise as she did so. Her agonized screams filling the room as the hung onto the rim of the wooden floor. Betty was hanging on to her dear life as her fingers began to slip.

"Help me!" She cried as the abyss kept keeping her down. Without further hesitation the girl's father lunged towards her as you rushed to the portal that held the damsel in distress. "Grab my hand!"Jack called to his daughter who was already a sobbing mess. Her mascara and eyeliner leaving stains on her now red cheeks.

Yet once he got a good grip on one of Betty's hands, the void seemed to be engulfing both. You realized in shock once you saw your Uncle's freaked out expression and your cousin's increasing screams and cries the the portal was swallowing them both up.

But you couldn't just stand by and watch it happen, could you?

No.

It would be a miracle if you were lucky enough to pull them both out, and unfortunately you weren't.

Your tried oh so hard to pull them both out. Betty's hands were already holding those of her father and you did your best to help them, pulling on your uncle's legs. Yet at this point you were too weak to help. You desperately tried several times, yet you too soon found yourself also being engulfed in the glowing light.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

"Did you see that?!" Mey-Rin asked as she pointed to the sky in awe, her eyes glowing with excitement. At her question, the head butler of the Phantomhive estate, Sebastian, rolled his eyes and continued preparing the tea cart with his impeccable precision. "If this is an attempt at getting out of your duties, I do not find it very believable."

"But I saw it too!" said Finnian from the doorway. Sebastian's gaze shifted to Finnian with a raised eyebrow. "A beam of light, yes it was!" Mey-Rin exclaimed. Sebastian's expression turned into a frown, and he continued preparing the tea cart with an apparent lack of interest.

"You know I think I know what you two are talking about." He claimed rolling out the cart.

The maid and gardener whipped their heads back to look at the butler with a sparkle in their eyes. "Really?!"

"No."

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Your eyes slowly crept open as you were laying on your back. Every limb seemed to be aching as your torso slowly rose up. A hand rubbed your temple as you processed everything that happened, steadily looking around.

The ground was moist and held multiple twigs and leaves. Trees loomed over, looking as if they'd recently been watered. The juniper colored leaves dewy with raindrops, petrichor filling the air. The air was thick with the smells of pine needles and wet soil, making her feel as though she was surrounded by a lush, verdant forest.

As you stumbled your way through the thick foliage, you could feel the rough bark of trees beneath your hands and the soft, damp leaves brushing against your legs. Your locks of hair stuck to your forehead in damp strands, and the humidity of the forest made your clothes feel heavy and uncomfortable against your skin. You heard something rustling in the underbrush, and she paused, holding her breath and straining her ears to listen

You groaned softly as you stood up, however once you successfully regained your composure, a certain someone tackled you to the ground.

"(N/N)!" Betty cried, ignoring your groans if pain. Jesus Christ, you thought. "Oops, my bad." Betty said chuckling nervously as she quickly got off of you. You glared in return, irritation looming over those (E/C) eyes of yours.

The noirette's goofy smile faded as she cleared her throat. It was painfully obvious that the girl failed to accomplish wiping off her ruined makeup, her normal pale cheeks smudged with black. Her eyes were still red and puffy from crying and she was still sniffling. You wanted to be mad but after seeing the state Betty was in you just couldn't.

"Here let me give you a hand." Another voice called. Mustering up any strength you had left in your body, you turned to face your uncle. Even the fall had some sort of impact on the guy.

His normally calm and proper demeanor had noticably changed. His hair was messy and beads of sweat decorated his forehead. His hand was shaky as he helped you up. A soft smile graced your lips as he helped you up. "Thanks." He smiled. "Anytime."

You sighed. "Where are we?" You asked looking around the thicket. "I'm not sure." Jack replied as he studied the area. "I'm sorry..." You began quietly. "No no no, it's not your fault!" Betty said coming over to you. "No one knew this would happen."

"Don't be hard on yourself, (Y/N)." Your uncle called with a soft smile. Sure they both agreed that none of this was your fault, yet you couldn't shake off that feeling of guilt.

"Wait a sec." Betty thought. "You recited some sort of spell, correct?" The noirette turned to you. You nodded slowly, the noirette begining to get lost in thought.

After a moment of thinking, she smiled and snapped her fingers. "I got it!" You raised a brow. "Oh?" Even her father was curious as to what sort of plan his daughter had in store.

"(N/N) said a chant, right? So why don't we recite one we know?" Betty explained with a glimmer in her eyes. You gave her an intrigued look.

Jack and you looked at your cousin in curiosity as she took a few steps back. Clearing her throat and taking a few deep breaths, she shut her eyes and cracked the heels of her scarlet shoes together. "There's no place like home, there's no place like home."

She opened her eyes slowly, disappointed to see the three of you still stranded. She pouted looking at your deadpan expression. "Worth a shot." She sighed walking back to you.

Thinking of something, you whipped out your phone. "I can't get a proper signal here, but the time is 3 o'clock." You mentioned. How interesting, you thought as Betty quickly pulled hers out, being disappointed with her results momentarily. "We're stranded."

Jack sighed. "Well there's no use just standing around and waiting for something to happen. It's still light out here, I'm sure we can find someone to help us. Let's go."

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

"Young Master there's something in the woods!" Finnian cried, running towards the group.

The party looked up from the picnic blanket, Ciel wanting nothing more than to smack him in the back of the head. Of course, something had to go wrong when the Earl decided to be nice enough to take everyone for an outing. Ciel sighed, shaking his head as his betrothed looked at him with tears in her emerald eyes. "Is there really?!" Lizzy cried, her maid Paula handing her a handkerchief. "Sebastian please go see if there's something that will disturb us." Ciel called to Sebastian in an irritated manner, who bowed before leaving momentarily after. As the demon left, he couldn't help but wonder what Finnian was talking about.

He had made sure everything would be perfect as soon as they arrived, so what could possibly have gone wrong?

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Leave a vote or comment if you enjoyed ⊂⁠(⁠・⁠▽⁠・⁠⊂⁠)