Enchanted

"This night is sparkling, don't you let it go. I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home. I'll spend forever wondering if you knew, I was enchanted to meet you."

Ava's eyelids opened slightly, as she began to wake up to unfamiliar surroundings. She sat up, looking around the room. Of course. She knew exactly where she was, and exactly how she got there. In an instant, all of the memories from the previous night came back to her.

"Hey." Connor was standing in the doorway, leaning against the frame. "You're up." He had a small coffee in his hands. "I made you this. I wasn't sure how you take it, so I just went with black. Safest option, right?" He carefully placed it down next to her. 

"That's exactly how I take it." Ava nodded approvingly. She was impressed with this level of care, the morning after. "You know," she started, reaching over to drink the coffee. "I didn't expect all of this. I thought that it was all just quick in-and-outs with you." She smiled, slightly. This was definitely unexpected, but she wasn't complaining. Actually, it was nice that he cared. 

"I guess you were wrong about me, then," Connor shrugged, sitting down on the bed. This wasn't the first time that he had heard these comments, and he was sure that it wouldn't be the last. For some reason, he seemed to have a reputation, one that had even reached the ears of Ava.

"I guess I was." Ava smiled, taking a sip of her coffee. Somehow, Connor had made it just as she liked it, maybe even better. "This is good," she remarked, pointing to the coffee.

"I'm glad you think so," Connor responded, grinning. "I don't get how you drink your coffee just like that. I could never drink it black." He laughed, looking over at Ava's reaction. She met his eyes with a small, appreciative smile.

"Maybe you need to branch out," Ava suggested, laughing. She swung her legs out of the large double bed, so that she was sitting next to Connor. "Here. Have a sip of this." She held her coffee up to him, offering it. Immediately, Connor's face was the picture of disgust.

Connor grinned, refusing to take the mug of coffee that she was holding out to him. "Ava. There's no way you could ever get me to drink that." He laughed at just the idea of it. "Nice try." 

Ava still persisted, offering him the mug of coffee again. "What are you, scared?" she teased. "I've seen you put your entire career on the line about a hundred times a week with some risk y surgery, yet you won't even take a little sip of this." She scoffed. "Really?"

Connor sighed, defeated. "Okay. Give it here." He took the mug of coffee from Ava's hands. Steadily, he took the smallest sip, and quickly swallowed it. "Never again," he said, finally. "That was bitter." He stood up, passing the coffee mug back to Ava. "I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I may have let you sleep in a bit too much."

She looked at him with confusion. "What do you mean?" she asked, looking up at Connor. "Don't tell me." She sighed, reading the expression on his face. "What time is it?" she asked, suddenly standing up and scanning the room for a clock.

"We have to be at the hospital in fifteen minutes," Connor replied, guiltily. Ava's look of horror told him everything. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. But in my defence, you looked so peaceful sleeping, and I didn't want to wake you. I thought you needed all the rest you could get, with that aortic dissection today." Ava still looked furious, although her face had softened slightly.

"Connor," she sighed, sounding exasperated. "We have to be at the hospital in fifteen minutes. Fifteen minutes. It takes fifteen minutes to get there from your apartment at best." She didn't know what else to say. Her original plans of driving home to get a shower and a fresh change of clothes were completely gone. If it couldn't get any worse, everyone at the hospital would know, when she took her walk of shame in day-old scrubs with dishevelled hair, that she had slept with the infamous Connor Rhodes, something that absolutely no one there would ever expect her to do. In fact, she was still having a hard time believing that the events of the previous night had actually happened.