an unexpected even unfurled

____________________________________________________________warning! this is just a fictional story. every name of character and place in this story is not intended to mock anyone in real life. if there's something that offend you I am sorry. ____________________________________________________________

Yokai, the supernatural creatures born from the emotions of humans, are a constant threat to humanity. Resentment, trauma, and hatred all manifest in the form of different creatures with various shapes and sizes. Yokai can even be born from nature's hatred towards humans. As a result, humans begin training their kin in the art of fighting yokais, creating a group known as yokai hunters. Over the years, humans suffer both victories and defeats, with many lives lost in the process. The families of yokai hunters become the last line of defense for humanity against these otherworldly beings. Despite their losses, the yokai hunters remain the most reliable option for dealing with yokais.

Among these families, the most feared and respected are the Saltigas. They are known for their exceptional capabilities and efficiency in dealing with yokais in the underworld. If you know about them, you are either not normal unless one of them has told you themselves, or you are a fellow hunter. The Saltigas brutally kill any yokai they meet, causing them to flee at the mere sight of them. Despite their reputation, all members of the Saltigas family receive criticism in various forms, though not aggressively enough to expose themselves. Yota Saltigas, which is my name, receives the same treatment like all of my family members.

I contemplate my hands as I walk home. Hands are not only used for grabbing things, but also for cooking and typing, among other things. All good things can be done with hands. But as the saying goes, where there's light, there will always be darkness. When I look at these hands of mine, how many innocent lives have I screwed over, how many yokai kids have died in my hands.

Today is the last day of school, and we're finally on summer break. As I walk home, munching on some snacks I picked up at the supermarket, I can't help but notice a dark aura coming from the alley next to me.

"What an ominous aura," I mutter to myself.

I try to walk past it, but then I remember something my dad told me during my training to become a yokai hunter. Most yokai can't hide their aura when they're in battle or suppressing their anger. Capturing them might be different from detecting them. It's useless knowledge for me, since I'm always partnered with my brother, but it could be useful in situations like this.

So, what should I do?

I stop in my tracks and stare at my hand once again. All the blood that's been spilled, all the regret that comes with it. I make a promise to myself that I won't kill any yokai unless it's in self-defense. And now, I have a choice to make. Should I run away, or should I face this unknown entity lurking in the alley? I keep my promise and decide to walk away, never looking back.

____________________________________________________________in the dark and narrow alleyway, a wounded fox faces multiple shadowy creatures. It keeps growling and trying to defend itself, but the creatures are closing in. Suddenly, powerful laser-like attacks are discharged towards the fox, and it stands still, waiting for its inevitable death.

But then, a miracle happens. A rod appears out of the ground, emitting a powerful barrier that forms a square shape around the fox, protecting it from the creatures. The shadows try to attack the barrier, triggering the security measure, and rods of light protrude from the barrier, shooting light bullets towards the shadows. The creatures are overwhelmed and devoured one by one from the rain of bullets.

The fox couldn't believe what just happened, and stood still with its jaw slightly ajar. As the dust settled, it raised its head and saw a shadow of a human standing above the alleyway. The human disappeared without a trace, leaving a bandage rolled up to the fox's leg. The fox is relieved to realize that it was just a bandage and not another enemy.