Prologue

When curiosity fuels a person, they’ll do almost anything to satisfy it.

Many people are unable to combat the overwhelming pressure curiosity can cause. It can be hard, living in a world where so much goes on, but so little is known. When everything is interesting and exciting.

So in the dead of the night, when waves crash over the beach in a familiar rhythm and pattern, and the gentle nighttime breeze blows light grains of sand along the shore, it’s almost impossible not to follow the curiosity that sparks from an odd green glow.

Impossible not to shut the door gently and run down the pavement in nothing but soft pajamas and the closest pair of shoes.

But things like that happen in fiction, or to everyone else. 

You had thought nothing of it when you stumbled over a rock on the beach. It was normal– a recurring experience for you at that point. What wasn’t normal, was the green glow of the smooth, triangular shaped crystal.

Stunning was the first word on your mind when you set it back in the sand gently as the sun set behind you. You thought nothing of it as you walked back home.

But when the same green glow appears twice in your life, within the same six hours….

It’s impossible not to give in.

Curiosity killed the cat was the phrase your father had gently whispered to you after a mishap experience with a yellow and black striped insect. Though it was hardly enough to extinguish the curious, dancing flame that resonated in you.

Curiously killed the cat.

But who’s to say the cat would die without fighting back?