Chapter Sixteen

"Hey, can I come in?" Vivian asked.
"Yeah, sure." 

She went to sit on his bed immediately, because there was no chair in his room.

"You're now a big boy, you are already growing some strands of hair." She said, as Alex sat next to her. 

Alex only smirked, as he was confused if it was a compliment, or if it was meant to be a joke. 

There were some moments of silence between them, as Vivian deliberated on the right, nonoffensive word to say. 

"You see, I'm glad to have you as my brother. You can't imagine how long I've yearned to be with you, or for you to know that we are siblings." She explained. 
"Oh no! Don't say that. What do you mean exactly? That keeping the secrets away from me until now is the perfect thing for me? Cut the crap, man!" He fumed. 
"Fine! The decision they made concerning all these may be wrong because I didn't partake in making the decision either, I mean, I was a fucking kid when all these mysteries happened! I accepted to dance their tune, un-willing-ly." She emphasised the last word. 
"But you need to realise that each of us involved in this—well, maybe except the old man, were hurt for hiding the truth until now. Do you know how hurt I was attending your birthday parties every year, without us talking to each other, knowing fully well that you are my brother, until I got immersed with my studies?" She lamented. 

Alex was speechless, and paced around his room, trying to understand his sister's reasoning. 

"But -" His sister interjected, seeing a flow of tears gathering in his eyes. 
"I know, I know it's hard. Believe me, I was sober and cried for some days, after I realised that I would never see my parents and that I'd have to wait for years before getting to introduce myself to my brother as his sister." She confessed. 

Alex burst into tears, realising that he could not keep it together any longer. 

His sister hugged him, to comfort and console him. 

"It's okay. Everything will be fine, henceforth." She patted his back as they hugged. 

"Thank you." Alex muttered, after he had found solace. 

They sat on his bed afterwards. 

"You must apologise to them tomorrow or this night. You can do it anytime you are emotionally prepared, but you just have to apologise because you really talked to them with a lot of disrespect, back then. Not necessarily Baba Agba, though." She advised. 
"Thank you. I really appreciate all of these. Thanks for being the shoulder for me to cry on this night." He sniffed as he spoke. 
"Anything for my little bro." She smiled. 
"I'm stressed as fuck from the whole trip, so, I need to go to sleep now. We'd talk and catch up with each other tomorrow. I only came here instead of retiring to bed, to talk to you and feel better, and I'm glad it worked." She said. 
"Thanks, big sis." He grinned. 
"You're welcome, my little bro." She smiled. 

She stood up from his bed, to depart the room.

"I don't know if you had been deliberating on what to call the Clements after discovering that they are not your biological parents, but I need you to promise me that you will still regard them as your parents, regardless." She turned abruptly to face Alex, and said. 
"That's not a problem. I will. I don't have a choice but to call them that." He replied. 
"No, it's not a choice, and it will never be. That is just how things are. They did everything a biological parent could do for their child, and even far beyond. You just have to accept it as fate and reality. Even as a kid, you never saw your parents for a week, they have been there to guide, protect, and do all sorts of things as a biological parent for you. Do you understand?" She inquired, as she placed her right hand on his left shoulder. 
"Yes." He murmured. 
"Is that a promise?" She asked. 
"Yeah, it is." He smiled. 
"Since you've promised me, anytime I hear you say otherwise, or I'm told that you did not regard them as your biological parent, with the privilege bestowed to me as your sister, I'm gonna smack you. Uhm?" She inquired.
"You could have just used a simpler sentence to replace that last statement. Are you trying to impress me with your knowledge or your use of language?" He joked. 
"I needed to be sure that you understood me, irrespective of my use of words, which I think you did, right?" 
"Yes, ma. I understand you clearly." He smiled. 
"That's my boy. Goodnight, and don't forget to apologise to them, at least, by tomorrow morning, before we see each other. Otherwise-" 
"Just rest assured. I'll do all that you told me. I've accepted all these as my fate and reality, like you said." He assured her. 
"That's good. I'm off to sleep now." She said.