Returning From the Break (3)

6 weeks later...

Arjun checked under the table once again to ensure he hadn't missed anything, then glanced at the corner where he kept the wildflowers, he had gathered in the bamboo hollow he found near the waterfall.

As Arjun finished packing his bag and cleared out of the room, his eyes fell on his violin case resting in the corner, adorned with beautiful natural dyes. His bags were filled with an assortment of items he had collected during his time at the camp. He felt a sense of joy knowing he was taking home numerous memories and souvenirs to keep him company for the rest of his life.

It surprised him that no one seemed interested in anything other than sports and that nobody interrupted his morning violin practice. Not even him. Arjun shook his head, grateful for the privacy he had, but couldn't help feeling a little disappointed. He had fallen in love with the camp and the secret place he had discovered, yet he couldn't bring himself to share it with anyone else.

He used to do everything and nothing in that magical place. Collecting rocks, making dyes, takings pictures of coo coos, he spent most of his free time here, enjoying the serene beauty, wishing that he would visit him once. But he never once felt sad during the camp, as he was a free man in this place where he could turn invisible to the entire world and could enjoy himself.

It felt strange that nobody had pressured him to participate in sports, and the other children were happy to engage him in conversations and include him in games just for fun. Later, he realized with a blush that he might have played a role in giving him this kind of freedom.

With the freedom he got, he slowly realized, without someone breathing down his neck, he actually didn't mind sports. He could manage pretty well in every game as long as it didn't get competitive. If it gets competitive, he would pass his role to others and go away with his violin. He's got used to being entertained with sports but being competitive is not for him.

Just as Tanmay had predicted, they didn't get many chances to be alone with each other and could only exchange formal greetings and occasional stolen glances or group dinners and get-togethers where they played night games with everyone. Though Tanmay did manage to tease him during swimming class, making Arjun's mind wander to some unholy thoughts, they both respected each other's privacy and time.

Before leaving the camp, Arjun decided to visit the clearing one last time. He quickly packed his bags and headed towards the clearing without paying much attention to his surroundings. When he reached the waterfall, the sun was high in the sky even at evening 4 o clock, and the summer heat made the air hot and humid. The flowers were wilting, but their sweet fragrance filled the air.

As per his daily routine, Arjun glanced at the center of the water, half-hoping to see Tanmay there, but he knew it was unlikely. And as expected, the water was deserted except for some birds quenching their thirst by splashing around. Arjun let out a deep sigh and turned towards his favorite banyan tree, only to be taken aback by the sight of Tanmay standing there, unusually fully dressed.

"Hey!" Tanmay exclaimed with laughter in his eyes as he saw Arjun's reaction.

"Hey!" Arjun replied with a slow smile, happy to see Tanmay before leaving the camp.

"I was scolding myself for not getting your phone number earlier because I was so confident that you'd be here," Tanmay said.

"And what if I wasn't?" Arjun asked teasingly.

"Then I would've missed a great guy," Tanmay replied nonchalantly, though there was a hint of sincerity in his voice.

Arjun smiled and leaned against the tree, eager to know more about Tanmay, but feeling held back by uncertainty. "What if this is a mistake?" he thought. "What if Tanmay rejects me or only wants to be friends?"

"Hello, Mister!" Tanmay waved his hands in front of Arjun's face, causing Arjun to flush with embarrassment.

"Sorry, I was lost in thought," Arjun apologized.

"Care to share?"

"Nothing important," Arjun replied, clearing his throat. "When are you leaving for your trip?"

"Right now!" Tanmay exclaimed. "I have a train to catch this evening. I'm going to Assam, then I'll see where to go from there."

"Oh," Arjun said, his voice deflating. He had hoped to spend more time with Tanmay before he left, and the suddenness of his departure was disappointing.

"I would ask you to come with me, but I don't know if you'd be okay with that."

"Me? Yeah, maybe not," Arjun replied, and he saw the disappointment on Tanmay's face.

"Is asking for your number stupid or idiotic?" Tanmay asked, laughing sadly.

Arjun chuckled but said nothing, feeling guilty for rejecting Tanmay without giving him a chance. Tanmay had done something to Arjun's heart that no one else had, but Arjun was too scared to open up.

Tanmay asked Arjun, "Are you leaving right now?"

Arjun replied, "Yes, in an hour."

"Well then, I think there's no reason to prolong this farewell," Tanmay said, wiping his hands on his pants and shaking hands with Arjun.

"I sincerely hope you have a very happy life, Arjun, a life where you can just be yourself and be protected," he added, hugging Arjun one last time before turning away to leave.

Arjun felt panic rising in his stomach. He couldn't believe that he was rejecting a man who cared for him openly as a person. He realized that this man could be so much more in his life if he just tried to open up. If he didn't do anything now, nothing was going to change in his life, and he would forever regret this moment. This was the moment when a man had extended his hand to be a part of his life, with a plan to care for him, and he couldn't let it slip away.

Just as Tanmay was about to lift the veil, Arjun yelled, "Hey!"

Tanmay turned back and jutted his chin head inquiringly.

"Do you have an extra ticket to tag along?" Arjun asked.

A smile spread across Tanmay's face. "Thought you'd never ask, monsieur."

Arjun ran up to Tanmay and hugged him with unusual force. "I'm sorry, I never...no one...before," Arjun said, stuttering to find the right words. But Tanmay took his face into his hand and pecked him on the lips, shutting him up.

"I understand." Tanmay smiled lovingly and rested his forehead against Arjun's. Arjun's stomach was full of butterflies, and he couldn't focus on anything but Tanmay's lips. He felt like he would have a panic attack if he didn't do something.

"Can I kiss you?" Arjun asked abruptly, interrupting whatever Tanmay was about to say. Tanmay laughed out loud and nodded. Then he pulled Arjun closer, tilting his head to capture Arjun's lips in a passionate kiss.

The sun began to set behind the mountains as their lips met, marking the beginning of a beautiful love story.

___ The End___

"Let's take a brief break before we proceed to the story"