Part One

"No wifi?! It feels like we've travelled back in time!" Jordan complained as he struggled to pull his suitcase across the cobblestone driveway with one hand and check for service on his phone with the other.

"Jordan, take that stupid monocle off. You look ridiculous," Bennett sighed, pulling his own suitcase.

"I think this is going to be great", Naomi stated.

"You think you're going to meet your Mr Darcy? Huh?" Jordan teased in a mocking British accent.

Naomi looked at him. "Yeah, you know snowball's not real." She deadpanned.

Declan snickered beside her, and Jordan gasped, looking shocked.

"Tell me again, Bent, where are we staying?" Declan asked as he drowned out Jordan whining about the wheel of his suitcase getting stuck.

"With a family friend first; she insisted we meet her as soon as we land in England," Bennett replied, looking down at his phone. He was the only one getting reception out here in the English countryside.

"That's nice of her to invite us all", Naomi commented. "What's she like?"

"Jane went to school in America; that's where she met Brennan, and the two have been inseparable since. She visits our family house whenever she's in the States and has stayed with us for many summers," Bennett paused to think about it. "In many ways, she's like Brennan."

"Is she single?" Jordan asked.

He received a duffel bag to the head for the comment.

"When she heard we were coming to England for the summer, she instructed us to stay with her for a few days", Bennett explained.

"I think that's Brennan's doing, so someone keeps an eye on us," Declan said.

"Probably was. Jane acted like an older sister to Bentley and me anyway, so Brennan probably asked for the favour," Bennett agreed. "Bad timing, though."

"Wait, why?" Jordan stopped complaining long enough to ask.

Bennett sighed. "Her boss unexpectedly died a few days ago, so we probably won't see her as much as was planned."

"Oh wow. Should we even be going to her place? Naomi asked, concerned. "Is this the best time?"

"I mean, we've already travelled across the ocean with these two in a plane," Bennett stated. "I did ask Brennan, but she said Jane insisted we still come."

"I guess having quests will take her mind off things," Declan commented.

"Plus, we'll be travelling north to one of our summer houses in a few days. We'll be out of Jane's hair in no time," Bennett finished.

"One of" Jordan repeated in air quotes, which got him an annoyed sigh from Bennett.

******

In true British fashion, the weather was getting worse by the minute, the wind had picked up, and the rain was pouring down. Naomi was glad they made it to the house earlier than expected. If they had arrived now, everything would've been completely soaked. Of course, when Bennett first suggested this trip, he did mention packing plenty of jackets and waterproof items.

"Even in the summer, England is rainy."

Naomi always considered it an exaggeration, but she was proven wrong.

"It's getting dark quickly, isn't it," Declan said, coming by to watch out the window with Naomi.

"Yeah, it is. I hope Jane arrives soon,"  Naomi replies, rubbing her hands together for warmth.