Chapter 13 - Dreams of the Past

A boy caught the taller one by the edge of his shirt, right as he was about to leave the dorm. "Aoi! You going back to that family of yours right now?"

The tall boy picked up his bag, grinning. "Yep!"

The other boy chuckled, speaking teasingly. "You've been pretty composed these past few hours. Where's the picture you've been staring at?"

"In my front chest pocket, nearest to my heart," he said dramatically. "God, you're freaky. Thank god I'll be separated from you this season."

Aoi flicked the boy's forehead, smiling. "Don't miss me too much, stupid."

"Ew, who's gonna miss you?" replied the other boy, a displeased expression on his face. He wasn't able to hold it for very long, giggling shortly afterwards. "Just go already!" he said, pushing Aoi out the door. He waved, sticking out his tongue and shutting the door.

He snickered, walking down the hall. It was going to be a long train ride home.

...

Kana ran back and forth in her uniform, bringing trays of food to tables. Ever since summer began, tourists flooded their tiny town, famous for their clean beaches and delectable food. Her parents' bakery also functioned as a regular restaurant, turning it into a hotspot for hungry travellers.

Kana hadn't gotten a single minute of rest, allowing her to forget about all the problems she was thinking about prior. Even if said problem was soon to crash back into her life, like a snowball gradually accumulating its size as it rolled down the snowy hill.

"Someone kill me..." she said, defeated as she laid sprawled out on the employee's rest room. "Kana... you there?" came a knock from the door. "Just come in..." she replied.

Yuki creaked the door open, peeking his head in. "Oh god, there's a corpse back here!" he joked. She didn't even bother turning her head to look at him. "Come stand in my shoes for a second and see if you'll still laugh."

He chuckled, placing a soda in her hands. "Aren't I just the greatest friend?"

Her eyes widened. She tore the can open and guzzled it down her throat in an instant, plopping it straight down on the table. "Wow," Yuki exclaimed. Kana turned to him, glaring. "Why didn't you come by to help today? Just me and one other worker isn't enough!"

"Eh? One? What happened to the other worker?"

"He took a leave because it's summer..."

"Oh..." Yuki gazed at her sympathetically, not realising that Kana could see the corners of his lips curling into a smile. She continued to glare at him, choosing to keep quiet as he did bring her an energy drink.

She averted her gaze away from him, staring at the toy cooking set stashed away in the corner of the room, giggling. "Gosh, we used to play with that all the time. I can't believe we haven't thrown that out yet."

Yuki nodded, his face seemingly recalling a darker period of his life. "You guys always roped me into being the customer, and once I could've died because I ate the small plastic baguette. Don't make that face like it was a good time!"

She giggled, a distant memory resurfacing in the ripples of her mind.

"Look at them! So cute!"

Old women pointed at the corner of the bakery, giggling. Two kids sat by the windows, masquerading a cooking operation by themselves. "Bread!!! Buy bread!!!" Kana yelled. Aoi waved the toys around in the air, trying to pull in attention. A man kneeled down beside the kids, smiling. "Aoi, Kana, how are you today?"