Defeated Heroes Part 3

The King's High Chambers were just that. Set in the high tower, in the centre of the castle that lay at the very heart of the citadel of Farnbreth. The chambers themselves comprised three circular rooms at the very top. It had become known as The Tower of Secrets. One of the kings of Farnbreth had ordered it to be built when he had been betrayed. Up in the high reaches of the Tower, only those ordered by the King could enter. There was only one staircase and guards were always posted around its base. No spy could hope to get close enough to hear the King's council. Now Farnbreth was at war and stretched further than it had been for centuries. With so many matters of priority weighing down on the King's shoulders, he had ordered that the top two rooms be furnished for him and the lower would be used to hold council.

Roanha, the King of Farnbreth, sat on his throne, which had been heaved and dragged up countless stairs by four of his most trusted councillors and generals. They sat on each side of the King, positioned lower than the throne. They had gathered to await the arrival of the first of the wardens. Their short wait came to an end with a knock at the chamber door, announcing the arrival of the first warden. On the order of Roanha, the door was carefully opened, and the warden's name was announced.

William heard his name and title announced and shifted nervously, "William Hay, warden four, your Highness."

William was even more nervous now he could see the King and his honourable councillors. Roanha gestured for him to come forward.

"Welcome Warden," the King said, "and I thank you for your prompt attendance, although I was sure that warden nine had arrived first," he said with a smile.

Of course, Roanha was right, but it had not taken long for William to persuade the few who had arrived before him to step aside. He had approached the line of wardens, who stood at the entrance to the tower, with a grave face, and his stern and unbending reputation had helped to persuade them to allow him to move to the front. Naha, warden nine, had objected somewhat but, once William had fixed him with his gaze and spoken a few words of advice, Naha had stepped down, glaring at the others who had given in so easily with an inference that it was all their fault.

William bowed to the King, "Your Highness and Lord King, I am at your service".

"You and your fellow wardens have been summoned because Farnbreth needs all the strength of its people," the King began. "Never before have we faced such times. So, I am drawing together all the city's strength to ensure it will not fall."

Coming from his King, such words made William even more uneasy. Roanha caught William off guard by asking him a question, "Tell me, William Hay, what you know and what you think".

William did not know quite how to respond to this. The King was asking his opinion! "Your Majesty," he said questioningly, not sure if the King meant for him to talk openly. Now was not the time to make a mistake.

Roanha reassured him, "Speak openly; I must understand what is known by my people and also the thoughts of those to whom I may turn".

William hesitated again, but quickly realised he had no other course but to speak. As he did so, he hoped and prayed he would not say the wrong thing.

"There have been rumours of the war ever since our army marched back in to Farnbreth, but no firm answers have arisen," he began. William felt the force of the watching eyes on him as he continued. "Although it has been much talked about, there has been little real concern. Farnbreth has stood forever and the lands beyond the Black Water are filled with little more than tribes."

"A common dismissal," The King interjected.

William continued, "There are a few more questions and concerns now".

"It is not often that your Highness addresses the people, and when you do, it does not take much insight to work out it is important. The talk has gone no further, Farnbreth remains untouched, and the people seem relatively unconcerned." William paused.

The King questioned, "And what of your thoughts Warden?"

"The city is strange," William answered. "I know of no one who has seen the enemy and if it was not for your summons, I would not have worried any more than the next man".

"My words cause you concern?" The King shifted forward in his throne as he continued the conversation.

"Forgive me my King, I don't doubt your rule". William was more than aware that with one wrong step he could be up for treason, and there was only one way that could end.

Roanha was becoming irritated by the cautious conversation. "Tell me your thoughts Warden, we have no time to waste. Your counterparts await the same questions, and I do hope they do not take so long to speak."

Everyone close to the King knew that his mood could turn quickly. The sudden change in the King's tone made William hesitate again. This was all so unfamiliar to him.

The High Priest came to William's aid. "I suggest you speak quickly Warden, to reveal your thoughts. The King has demanded them; so, do not worry, they will not betray you."

The High Priest of Farnbreth sat on the King's left. Even when seated you could see he was a tall man, with kindly eyes and a firm, but warm, voice. His face was long with a small slightly hooked nose. He was dressed in a richly embroidered robe of green, cream, and gold.

William realised that there was no more time for careful thought and hoped he would not say anything that would result in him losing his head. "My King, you have manned the forts with men who are common folk. Folk who were barely able to patrol the streets. They were danced around by the local villains. You have marched them out to war," William exhorted. "And now you have asked your wardens to raise men to take their place. Farnbreth is in trouble. I don't know anything more than this, but I do know that if we have to fight to keep all that we have, I for one would stand if the call came."

The High Priest smiled as the King sat back in his throne. "Warden, you are my contact with the people. Your duty is to maintain control of your ward more now than ever. We have been beaten back, and our enemies have advanced. Now we await them from behind our walls. Walls that will break their advance. Now is the time for the people to unite and so ensure we stop this tide that is threatening to drown us. You and the wardens are to unite the people and allow us to draw on their strength. That great resource is where our hope lies."

William was fixed by his King's words. He was struggling to take it all in and not become overwhelmed.

Roanha continued, "Forgive me for giving you such tidings, but this cannot be ignored. We are losing this war, but it has not yet been lost and, so long as the strength of this city's people remains, we cannot be beaten. Help unite our people, Warden. Tell them of our plight but show them that we have not lost. Unite the people. Me and my captains will concentrate our efforts and arm all the people we can against the enemy. My clerics will give you the papers you need. Stand ready Warden. Give me our people and we cannot fail."

William was dismissed. There was nothing more for him to say. He collected his papers and left. His thoughts were spinning through his mind, and, although he tried, he could not stop his spirit from being dragged down by such news. He said nothing to the other wardens, yet just a glance at his face caused them to worry.

In the King's chambers one of the King's captains remarked that William was a simple man. "He seems to know his business," the King replied.

The High Priest spoke up, "More than that my Lord, he is a good man, and one you can rely upon. I hear much about the wardens from my priests and nothing I have heard of this man would stain his character." William had found an ally in the High Priest.