Prologue: We all start somewhere

Demon/Oni: a carnivorous and vampiric monster that preys upon humans, specifically their flesh and blood

Eastern Japan, 1909:

"Yuu!" a mans voice rings out throughout the small house that is home to a family of five. The man is of average height with a muscular build and many bruises along his hands and arms. An apron is wrapped around his waist as it covers his chest and midsection. His long dark hair falling down to his shoulders where it rests.

"Yes father!?"

A boy runs from another room within the house as he turns the corner. He is a young man slightly shorter than the first man and much less muscular. He has dark black hair tied up in a ponytail that falls to the top of his back. The boys name is Yuu Ishihara, a stone delivery boy. He stands before his father, Yosei Ishihara, the bigger man looking down at his son as he brushes off his hands.

"There you are my boy," the man says as he claps his hand on Yuu's shoulder, a warm smile across his face. "I have a new order for you to deliver to the nearby town. Should be your first overnight trip. You think you're up for it?" the stocky man asks and before the young boy can answer a high pitched voice cuts through the air.

"Yosei! You better not send our baby out into the freezing cold where demons lurk!" a short woman yells as she walks into the workshop area with a baby on her back.  "You damn idiots always get injured in this business and I'm tired of spending money on bandages specifically for the both of you!" she yells as she begins lightly hitting both boys as the younger one playfully yells out in shock.

"Moooom." he whines out as he is smiling and his father is laughing along with him. "Calm down honey, he's old enough now to where he can go out and deliver beyond our village during the night. Besides, demons do not exist, they are just a fairy tale to scare the kids." Yosei says as he unties his apron and hangs it up. He proceeds to walk into the families main living area as he kneels by a table nearly touching the floor. Once he pours a cup of teas he continues, "He'll be fine."

Yuu's mother seemingly thinks for a second before sighing. "I suppose he is getting older now. But I want you back as soon as the sun rises you hear me young man?" she says as she turns to Yuu and the young boy readily agrees. "I promise Mama." he says as he takes the handles of the cart and attach them to their donkey.

"Maybe this paycheck can pay off for imoutos medicine." Yuu says as he guides the donkey away with the cart attached to it. After he is well in the distance his mother sighs as she turns to Yosei. "That boy hurts my poor little heart sometimes." a sullen look on her face. "Such a precious boy who does so much good for his community and family."

Yosei grunts in response as he finishes sipping his tea. "I'm more worried for if he damages that expensive kimono he wanted. I mean 8,000 yen? For a purple kimono with black spots? Rip off." he grumbles as he sets the tea down. "He will be fine Asura, he's a strong boy. He will be right back in this home tomorrow morning with enough money to pay off our daughters medical spendings." Yosei finishes as he places his hand on his wife's shoulder.

Asura in response places her hand on his as she continues staring lonely down to dirt road.

"I sure hope so."

MEANWHILE

As Yuu leads his donkey along the road, he waves at many of his villages people. He was a nice and strong young man who helped all around his village from weaving baskets to helping carry in fishing loads from the nearby coast. He even watched children when their parents couldn't.

"That's a very large order you've got there Ishihara-kun. Do you need any help?" a man around his fathers age says as he goes to help lead the donkey.

Before he could, Yuu stops him. "Thank you for the offer Yamamoto-san but I can handle it. I do not wish to bother your duties with helping me deliver this cargo to the next town over." he says with a warm smile as he holds up his hand in a 'No thank you' way.