Chapter 1

Light filtered into the apartment through the half-covered window, the morning light causing Jo to stir. She buried her head under her pillow, grumbling as she pulled her blanket over her body. "Too bright..." The sole occupant of the bed groaned, screwing her eyes shut in an attempt to fall back asleep. It was, unfortunately, a useless effort.

Jo let out a loud huff, throwing off her covers to reveal pale skin and a head of messy ginger hair. She rolled out of bed with a thud, pushing herself up as she ran a hand through her hair to pull it out of her face. Doing so revealed a large, jagged burn scar that marred the right side of her face.
Jo trudged out of the small alcove-turned-bedroom and into the large studio apartment. She meandered into her small kitchenette where she began preparing a pot of coffee. "Mmm. Sweet, sweet caffeine..." Jo muttered as she leaned against the counter. She threaded her fingers through her hair as she listened to the coffee pot beginning to work. Jo's eyes fluttered closed as she listened to the rhythmic 'drip, drip, drip,' of her coffee being dropped into the pot.

The quiet beep, beep, beep, caused Jo to jerk up in surprise as it announced that her much-needed cup of joe was done brewing. Picking up the upside-down mug sitting next to the machine, Jo poured herself a cup. She walked with a yawn over to the easel and stool that sat awaiting Jo's arrival. The half-finished painting was practically calling her name. 'Finish me, Jo! Finish me!'

The cityscape on the easel was one she'd only ever seen in pictures but had captivated her immediately. Red brick buildings at the forefront stood with tall steel skyscrapers, the Willis Tower right in the center. Cityscapes had always been a struggle for Jo, however. Something about the impersonalization of the steel structures, the rigid angles, and rectangular sharpness just made it hard to put her artist's soul into the work.

Landscapes were another topic entirely, but that wasn't what she was trying to paint right now. "I'll finish you today. Just you wait." Taking a sip of her coffee, Jo set her coffee down on the table that sat next to the easel before sitting on the stool. The artist quickly found the hair tie she'd left on the table the night before and pulled her hair into a messy ponytail. Once done, she picked up a paintbrush and dipped it into the still wet paint from the previous night.

Carefully, Jo began painting light strokes of a brick red on the foreground, skirting around the building's windows drawn with charcoal. After dipping her paintbrush into the same color, Jo continued to paint when suddenly her front door was flung open with a loud 'thud'.

"Jo Jo Siwa! I am here!" Jo jumped as her sister strode into the apartment. She scowled as she watched her sister toss her purse onto her counter without a care in the world.

"You could stand to knock, Sky. What if I wasn't here?" Her sister gave her a look that said everything. She was always here. Always. Guess that came with the territory of being a shut-in. "Okay, but you should still knock."

"And you should move your spare key. I told you hiding it under your welcome mat was too obvious."

"I'd care if I had anything worth stealing." Jo snarked as Sky wandered into her kitchen.

"What would mom say about that?" Sky said, voice laced with sarcasm. "Oh, is this coffee fresh?"

"Just made it this morning." Jo said, barely looking up from the painting.

"Score!" Sky cheered and poured herself a cup.

"Did you just come over to drink my coffee and insult my life choices?" Jo watched as Sky walked over, collapsing into the couch.

"Damn this couch is the worst." Sky grumbled as she adjusted herself. "I have a reason to be here."

"Well?" Jo said reaching for her mug she took a sip of coffee–only to immediately spit up a mouthful of paint water back up. "Not coffee! Not coffee!" She shrieked as she rushed over to her sink, gagging at the taste that coated her tongue.