A night in Cover Corporation...

I'm Harusaki Nodoka, a new staff member of Cover Corporation.

After a long time of job hunting, I managed to secure an interview with Cover Corp. I was surprised that I managed to pass even though I wasn't sure how to answer their additional weird questions. But that was all in the past and I was already several days into my new job.

"Here are a few more things you have to work on, Nodoka-san", a blue-haired woman said before placing more folders on my desk.

"I'm not halfway done with these, A-chan-san!!" I cried.

The blue-haired woman with glasses was my coworker, Asuka. She's more known as A-chan among the others and she insisted that I call her that way too. Even though she looked like a mature office lady with her black vest, gray slacks, and black heels, she was very approachable and patient with a new hire like me.

"Don't worry. You're still a newbie so I'm only letting you handle this much!" she winked at me.

I looked at her desk and saw that she had way more paperwork than me. The other side of the desk couldn't even be seen since the folders and papers were blocking my sight.

"... What kind of black company is this?" I sighed.

"This amount of work is expected of us in the general staff. We take on the jobs that don't necessarily fit in the jurisdiction of other departments and make sure that everything in the company is running properly!" A-chan-san repeated the same words she told me back when I had my first day.

"But isn't it common sense to have enough manpower to avoid overworking our staff?"

"... We can't easily hire other people, you know? This job is delicate and can't be easily handed out to random applicants. In exchange, we get good pay and benefits!"

But money's no use if I have no time to spend it...

I bit back my words and focused on my job. Since I was recently hired, all I've been doing was reading reports from different departments. Then, I would sort them out to find which ones are the highest priority and should be dealt with first while taking notes. I also make sure to compile the numbers and reports in a document that could be easily read by the higher-ups.

"If it's too tough, just say it and I can help you out", A-chan-san told me.

"Don't worry! I'll just do my best!" I pumped my fists and continued working.

There was no way I could ask her for help. I was fortunate enough to be offered a job here and I shouldn't bother A-chan-san too much. She already had too much on her plate. I was a staff too so I shouldn't be deadweight!

But unfortunately, the fates had other plans for me.

A-chan-san's phone rang and she immediately picked it up.

"Eh?! Right now?! B-But..." she whimpered.

After speaking in a hushed tone for a few minutes, she put down her phone and sighed. It wasn't even a week since I started working but I was already familiar with A-chan-san's tired face.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"An emergency happened and I have to go. I'm just thinking how much overtime I need to finish my work before the deadline hits", she muttered.

I looked at her desk once more and saw the large stacks of papers. A-chan-san might be an efficient veteran in this job but she was also a human.

"A-chan-san! I can do extra work for today!" I offered.

For a second, I saw her eyes light up with hope. However, she returned to her usual expression and had a smile.

"Don't worry! I can manage", she said.