Ten

*Ameera*

I was currently in my classroom, only few students were here, Mallam Ishaya was waiting for the rest to come in, I stood beside him in front of the class, while he sat on his chair busy advising me.

"It would be better if you just do as I say" he said,

"But why should I? I thought you said I was good at singing" I said.

"Well I only did that because I was... It was because of some personal reasons. And since all the students have decided to step down for Hamza, why don't you do the same and save us all the stress" he said, I mentally rolled my eyes.

"Thanks but no thanks, I'm doing it" I said, he shook his head.

"This is not the time to be stubborn Ameera, Hamza is most likely to win because his mother is part of the judges. Why did you think the other students quitted?" he asked,

"Well I don't think she would stoop that low and choose him because he's her son, besides the other judges will be there right? And so are the audience, their opinion also matters" I said and he shrugged.

"Me I've sha said my own, if you like do as you wish, that one no kuku concern me... " he was saying and I spoke in a low tone.

"Sha dey mind your business... "

"Excuse me? What did you say?" he asked, and I shook my head.

"No, nothing sir " I said as more students entered the classroom. He looked at me suspiciously, and I took it as my cue to go back to my seat.

I turned to Humeira who had a look of concern, she mouthed 'is everything okay?' I simply shook my head with a small smile.

But deep down I became even more worried, I just hope everything turns out okay.

***************

After school, I went back home and I changed into a peach gown, I had a grey veil on my head, I had my airpods on and simple flats.

I wanted to go to Habib's house, he told me that his house is few blocks away from our so I wanted to pay him a surprise visit.

Mom and dad weren't home yet so I use the opportunity to go there.

His house was, number 23, after a while I was outside at the gate. I was about to knock on the gate when a woman in her middle forties came out all dressed up.

The gate an wasn't far behind her, I smiled,

"Hi, Asalamualaikum" I greeted, but she had a blank expression on.

"How may I help you?" she asked,

"Uhm, I'm here to see Habib, I came to give him a surprise visit"I said to her,

She looked at me from head to toe, then she went back into the house and closed the gate.

"Okay, should I wait for you?" I asked but no one answered.

I became confused, did I do something wrong? Or maybe she doesn't like girls coming to visit her son at home, I shrugged at the thought.

And he still hasn't gotten his phone back from her, why is she so strict? I still waited for about thirty minutes more, no one came out of the house, so I went back home.

***************

I entered the living room and then Humeira walked up to me, she whispered.

"Where were you all this time? Mom was looking for you she came back a while ago" she said, I shrugged.

"I went to see my friend Habib, he lived just around the corner. But I couldn't talk to him, his mother wouldn't let me in, she's so strict, did you know she even took his phone away from him?" I asked,