Chapter 2

"Honey, I was able to borrow a couple of dresses if you wanted to take a look at them and decide which one to wear," My mom stated as she walked through the front door carrying a handful of dresses and a sack of jewelry pieces.

"Can I look at them now? I will try them all on for you to get a second opinion on which one fits me the best," I walked up to her and gently grabbed the dresses from her arm, easing the heavy load she struggled to balance in her grasp. We ventured toward the kitchen as I stopped to set the dresses on the back of the couch in the living room. She dropped her belongings on the kitchen table before looking in the cabinets.

"Do you have any idea what you want for dinner? We don't have much and I can't afford a run to the store until the end of the week when your father and I get paid," She flipped through the remaining food items we had as I shook my head.

"I'm good with anything you can come up with. I know it will taste delicious regardless," I reassured her, walking up behind her and embraced her in a loving hug. "You do as much as you can around the neighborhood, Mom. I'm just grateful we have a roof over our heads. It could be much worse."

She sighed as her head lowered slightly in what appeared to be shame. "I just wish I could give you more. You deserve more than this, honey."

"No, mom. This is all I need in life. I look up to you and cherish the ground you walk on. You and Dad have both shown me where hard work and love can get you in life. All I want is to be happy and loved by those around me. So far, you have both have done more than enough to give me a life full of happiness and love. I just hope that one day I can provide my kids with that same lifestyle," I rubbed small circles on her back in an attempt to comfort her.

"I love you, Astria. I want nothing but the best for you in this lifetime. Your father and I would do anything to make your dreams come true."

"I love you too, Mom! I could never thank you enough for everything! If I get selected, I will do all I can to make you two proud!" I started tearing up as I spoke to her.

"Even if you do not get selected, you will always make us proud just by being you!" She admitted as a tear rolled down her cheek. I used my thumb to wipe away the tear and hugged her one last time before smiling at her and taking a few steps back.

"Thank you mom! I am going to try on those dresses now," I walked to the couch and scooped up the dresses in my arms before walking up the stairs to my room. She just nodded as she walked around the kitchen, opening some drawers and cabinets.

----------

As I set the dresses down on my bed, I stepped back to view the options I had. The first dress was strapless in a shade of bubblegum pink. It had flowing layers, where the top was tight fitted and the bottom jutted out at the hips. It was stunning and unlike anything I had ever seen before, let alone wear.

After securing the dress in place, I admired my reflection in the mirror above my desk

After securing the dress in place, I admired my reflection in the mirror above my desk. I barely recognized myself. It was a beautiful material that felt majestic to the touch, I bundled the material at the bottom in my hands before walking down the stairs to show my mother.