Chapter Three

GARRETT’S POV

I miss her.

THAT, I can’t deny. I miss her.

But I feel helpless.

I know we can’t be together now, I still love her.

But then there’s…Morena. She is there when I need her, she doesn’t have any qualms being with me, being seen with me and she has been bombarded with harsh judgment in the social networking sites. I pity her. She doesn’t deserve it. If it was just me it would have been alright. But dragging another person in this mess is a totally different story.

I recalled when some of the reporters asked me about Morena, what the real score is between us, and I was true when I said “We are getting to know each other, I am thankful she is letting me get to know her and I am happy that we got this chance. Who knows what lies ahead, right now we are just hanging out- people are so quick to judge when it is not even us  yet, I deserve to be happy too. There are things I’d rather keep to myself- some for public consumption. Please respect that..”

They were still asking me more questions but I quickly went inside my car. Away from the press.

That was just an ambush interview, I could have kept my mouth shut but I didn’t- I had to step up and defend Morena.

I knew by doing that, I would hurt her.

Her - Serena Gonzalez. The one I love, the one I should be with right now. I know she is hurting and I am,too. I don’t like what I am doing. But she seem to be ignoring me. No more calls, no more texts- nothing. She won’t pick up the phone or answer my texts and I am at the end of my rope.

Instead, I am spending my birthday with my family and friends- Morena tagging along. Because she is one of my friends.

People don’t understand I can have female friends, they always think I am a playboy, I like to get laid and just have fun. They were wrong.

I closed my eyes as I feel the sand on my back – I needed this break. Away from everyone – only with those few people who knew the real me and wouldn’t judge me.

I thought about Serena.

What I would give for her to be here with me. Beside me. Sharing this wonderful day with me. 

Enjoying the sun. Holding her hand. Kissing her. Just being with her.

But I guess, I would have to start living my life without her. For now.

I closed my eyes.

I rested my arms over my forehead.

For a moment, I just want to ‘unthink’ if there’s such a word.

I want to strip myself of any thoughts, any worries- right now I just want to be at peace with myself.

Serena. Love.

Love, do you think you’d love me still even if I am not famous?” Serena asked me out of nowhere, we were seated in the living room of my condo- I was just handing her a bottle of sparkling water, and as she took the bottle from me- our fingers touched,  I smiled at her and then my smile dissipated when she asked me the question. It caught me off-guard, yet I know it was just one of her innocent remarks- this time a question.

I sat next to her and puts my arm around her waist, kissing her hair.

“Why are you asking me that silly question, love? I would love you even if you are dirt poor. Fame isn’t you. It never was because of that. I loved you because you’re you. Never think I loved you for other reasons, love,” I said to her.

She smiled at me and said, ”Sorry, love. It was just a silly question- I know. I guess I just want to hear that from you. You can’t blame me for asking though, there are much more beautiful girls around you and I just wonder why me?”

Don’t even question it, Serena. I love you,” then I took the bottle off her hand and with my hand on the back of her neck, our lips were inches away from each other. As if by instinct, she closed her eyes before our lips met.

I swallowed hard before I took her lips with mine. Savoring the sweetness of her lips, our bodies pressed against each other.

I kissed her gently, I felt her hands around my neck and then my hair- then our kiss deepens. My hand started to explore her back, going under her shirt, stroking her side and then on the flatness of her stomach.

I pulled away from the kiss- I knew when to stop. This was the time to stop. I knew she wasn’t ready for anything more than a kiss. And I am carried away. I don’t want to deepen the kiss and go further. Otherwise, I won’t be able to stop.

She opened her eyes, questioning me…

I touched her lips with my finger that is a bit swollen from my kiss, “Love, I had to stop. Before I can’t stop myself from kissing you…”I said.

She smiled.

“I know,” she said and bit her lip and then she laughs. Her infectious laugh. And then we hugged each other.

I feel contented just hugging her. I can stay like that with her. Keeping myself in check, I respect her.

The woman that is her. Serena. My love.