The Owl's Nest

The sorting ceremony was quite a spectacle to witness. Professor Fig had Vincere stand to the side of the staff table for a more one on one conversation, inspecting his robe and uniform in the process.

"How are you feeling? I hope the trip here wasn't too much trouble?"

"Not at all Professor, just a little tired is all. Have you seen my luggage? I think I must've misplaced it?"

"I believe Professor Weasley had asked a house elf to keep it secure until you are sorted, that way it will be in your dorm once this is all over." Just then the last first year was sorted, following it was the same cheers and claps after every sorting. "Ah I believe you are up."

Professor Fig escorted him up next to the podium, watching as Black shooed Fig back to the staff table, and silenced the hall of students just before he began speaking.

"This year we have a late transfer. Much like Miss Onai when she transferred from Uagadou; however this year's transfer will begin as a fifth year, so please extend a Hogwarts welcome to Vincere Garner."

"This way Mister Garner, let's get you sorted shall we?" Professor Weasley called over, motioning for him to sit onto the stool next to her.

Once he sat down and the hat was placed upon his head, he was unsure of what came next. He did pay attention and noticed a few details about the hat itself, mostly how it has a face, and that it was able to speak.

"Hmm... What's this? A bit older than the rest, aren't you? You came here with certain expectations?"

"I wish to learn all I can about magic."

"You're a clever one... and you possess native wit... ah... I also see hidden beneath the intellect is a kindred spirit, and upholder of justice... Hufflepuff perhaps?"

'Ravenclaw... '

"RAVENCLAW!!!"

'Thank god.'

The booming of cheers and claps proceeded once more; but now that he was at the center for everyone to see he couldn't hide how nervous he truly was, a wide grin forming on his lips. Professor Weasley removed the hat from his head, sending him towards the table with the rest of his house. As he walked towards the table a familiar, friendly face caught his eye. There was Zenobia currently in the middle of stuffing her face with some yorkshire pudding. She spotted him almost immediately, pointing towards the seat just across from her. Upon sitting down he felt a hand pat his back, turning to be greeted by a prefect of the same house just two seats away.

"Welcome to have you here with us; but if I may, you should probably steer clear of that one if you wish to keep a good reputation." The remark noticeably made Zenobia look down at her dish, picking at her mashed potatoes.

"It's quite alright actually." In the corner of his eye he was able to see Zenobia sinking more into herself. It was saddening; but he had no intentions of hurting her. "She said she would teach me how to play gobstones, as I've never played."

The prefect just shrugged his shoulders, going back to his roast beef as his plate was almost finished. "Don't say I didn't warn you."

Vincere looked towards Zenobia, smiling upon noticing her mood had shifted back. He had no desire to make friends when he first arrived; but he knew it couldn't hurt to be one. His attention turned to Headmaster Black who had stood up from his chair, and made his way towards the podium for everyone to see.

"Now before I send you all off to your common rooms, I have an announcement to make. After the injury from last year's season, I have decided to cancel Quidditch this year-"