Heart Race

We were back from our holidays and everyone was preparing for the coming ball that was about to take place on the weekend.
" Has anyone asked you yet?" Violet asked.
" No" I said.
Mother had sent me materials. We were supposed to wear the dress we had designed from scratch.
" How would someone ask you" she said, " You lock yourself in your room or library or class"
" It's not compulsory to take a partner" I point out, " and we can get asked to dance to then and there"
" still" Mercy said, " it's nice to know we've caught someone's eye"
I remembered sir Joseph immediately.  I shook my head as if that would erase him.

The weekend came faster than we expected. I could hear all the girls giggling and making their way to the hall.
While I was too nervous to even open the door.
I looked at my reflection.

Would he like me?I was nervous as well as excited to see his reaction

Would he like me?
I was nervous as well as excited to see his reaction. I wrapped the black net around my waist then around my hands . I let my hair loose and clipped with a hair clip.

I looked at myself one more time when a knock disturbs me

"Come on out" Violet laughed.
I opened the door. She wore a light pink satin gown with white ruffles on her chest and sleeves.
" Oh Violet you look stunning" I say covering my mouth.
" You too" she eyes me up and down, " beautiful"
" Thankyou" I say.
She drags me out and to the hall where everyone was.

Everyone looked extra ordinary. No less than the other. 
" May I have a dance with you?" Victor, one of our seniors asked.
"Sure" I say and he took me to the centre where everyone danced.
We danced and had fun when Mam Eliza rose a toast to us.
" To everyone and us" she laughed, " Now I request Sir Joseph who has just entered the gates to come and show us his talent"
Sir Joseph came in hand in Miss Maria, our knitting teacher. They graceful danced. He half picked her up in air whenever she swirled making her laugh.
Slowly all the teachers and students joined them. For a second or it was my imagination I caught him looking at me.
I immediately began to settle myself as my heart jumped a few times.

And I was back to staring at myself but this time a li'll drunk.
My door knocked, " Present Mam Elija" I announced.
She was checking on every girl.
"Good honey" and I hear her knock another room.

At midnight I lay remembering sir Joseph's eyes boring deep in mine every minute whenever he got the chance. My heart did a li'll dance every time. I covered my face with sheet in embarrassment when I heard a soft noise outside.
I open my window and look at the empty farm.
Again I  heard a ruffle.
I tip toed out of my room and to the main door.
I turn the knob of main and clicks open. I step out carefully closing the door again behind me.
I look around as it was a half moon, there was very dim light covering everything. 
I slowly walk to the common building where I heard a few giggles.
I hid myself behind a wall and slowly enter the hallway then back side where my window was.
I heard whispers.
I slowly peek inside the classroom.
And I was shocked.
It was Madam Julia and Sir Thomas, field expert.  I could see half of their shadows. The kissing sounds and their moans filled the room.
I covered my mouth, careful not to make noise.
"Be careful" she whispered to him.
I hear them making their way out.
I hurriedly hid behind the dark hallway which led to library.
Sir Thomas suddenly pressed Mam Julia to the wall and they began kissing again.
"I don't feel like going" he whispered.
"What a night it was" she said.
I carefully tip toed in the library so they wouldn't see me. As I turn around I bump into a figure.
I was ready to yell.
" What are you doing here?" He whispered as dim yellow light of lamp hit his face.
I immediately recognized him.
"Huh?"I gasped.
"Catherine, is it you?"he asked.
" Sir...I have a habit of sleep walking" I replied, " and you just woke me up"
" Is it?" He asked as if doubting.
"Yes sir" I reply.
"Let's go" he said and began to head for door. When I stopped his hand, "No" and shifted in front of him.
He looked down at him.
"Is something the matter?" He asks as he took a deep breath and his gaze fell to my lips.
" No" I shake my head, "But I do feel anxious because I have been suddenly woken up"
"Oh" he says, " So what do you need?"
I clear my throat and walk past him in the library and sit on a chair.
" I just need sometime to relax sir, if you don't mind" I say.
He silently follows me back and sits beside me.
We sat silently for a few minutes when the lamp began to go off.
" What's going on?" I asked.
" I think the oil is...finished" and the flame burns off leaving us in dark with just shadow of ourselves.
We hear a sound when he gets alert, "What's that?"
I hold his hand and my heart begins to run like a horse, "It's the wind sir, and I suddenly feel tired" I said.
"Are you ok?" He asked.
"I'll be fine, sir, just give me some time" I answered. I had to continue this till Mam and sir would not leave.
We sat for few minutes.
"Would you like for me to do something?" He whispers.
" I'm sorry to trouble you sir" I said," just stay here with me" My grip around his gets a little tight as I say those words.
His other hand touches my forehead, " no fever"
"I'll be fine, just a some panic" I said.
"Ok" he says.
He gently takes my hand in his and starts to pat it.
I notice his broad shoulder and my heart begins to flutter and wave.
We hear a metal shift and I raise my voice a bit, "I Don't know what to do"
And with that he shifts closer to me not asking anything. He holds my shoulder and begins to caresse it.