The Start of Something New

Out from a patch of dirt and grass reached a long, rotting hand with grayish-pale skin riddled with scars. It climbed out, arm-bone protruding, and skid around the grave site curiously. The hand returned to the soil it rose from only to pull the rest of its body out. With groaning noises and dirt flying everywhere, the undead girl crawled out from her grave.

She seemed to appear as a normal human with unkempt hair and deep eyebags at first sight, but upon closer inspection, you'd notice the small maggots eating at her legs and the jagged scars on her palms. The girl unsteadily stood up and began to walk. She wasn't very good at it, even popping out an eye to huff and clean it off at one point. However, her vision didn't help much as her legs wobbled and buckled with every step.

The girl appeared to have died recently- despite the rotting corpse smell, removable eyeballs and limbs, and half-beating heart, she uplifted from the site with an intact digestive system. And so beneath her torn sweater the girl's stomach growled- and she unstably wobbled off in search of food.

She looked up after a short and difficult trudge to find a tall, dark building ahead. The light of the rising moon revealed a banner reading "MH Monster High." Gargoyles sat guarding the school, stone-cold expressions on their faces as they scanned for danger. The zombie looked up and noticed the slow-moving fade from pitch darkness to an orange-pink sky, the clouds becoming more apparent and birds chirping louder. The gargoyles relaxed slightly at the sight of a woman on horseback riding down the block. She stopped in front of the zombie with a friendly smile. "You're early." The woman said, carefully holding her head as she climbed off the horse. 

"Ehh?" The young zombie groaned in reply. "I'm Headmistress Bloodgood. Come on in." She said cheerily, moments before pushing open the doors to Monster High. The pair entered and immediately were met with the sight of dusty halls, cobwebs in nearly every corner with purple lockers that bumped and sputtered. "Remind me of your name, dear?" Bloodgood asked as they made their way down to her office. "R-Rottaviaaa.." The ghoul answered. 

"I've been watching you, Rottavia. Everyday you unearth and explore this town, moving little from your grave each time.." The headmistress began. "I'm really hoping Monster High will break you out of your shell. You see, the new semester is starting today, and I plan on your enrollment." Rottavia tilted her head. She didn't talk much, for a zombie at least, and appeared quite shy. However, school sounded promising- roaming from class to class, learning about new things. The prospect of meeting new people scared her.. but she was willing to give it a try. Headmistress Bloodgood handed her a clipboard with a file attached. Rottavia took a deep breath, inhaling the undead scent of her tethered clothes. She lifted a shaky, grey hand and took it. This was the start of something new.