Thinking And Thoughts

The UEC, an organization set on earth after fleeing from a war against the XCF.

During the escape, they have stolen some of the alien technology they harbored, of which they used to further enhance their infantry, artillery and more. One of the main events that occurred during it was the cloning machine.

It is considered the UEC's treasure, as it can duplicate unit from unit. Several tests have been initiated since then, with new absolute units called "clones".

Among many of them stands a lone slinger, who has the tag "S1" embedded into their uniform. Slingers were considered the weakest clones, and because of that they weren't used much in battle, with their uses limited, like going on patrol, testing, and helping out with certain tasks in the base. They were more of a janitorial decision at this point, with slightly more tasks more than cleaning the bathrooms.

S1 was one of the few that resided in the towers, keeping watch over anything that could move. He was basically a watchguard.

He remembered when a huge, bright light shone over him, causing him to cover his eyes.

Right after, he heard cheering.

"Owen! Did you see that? He MOVED!"

"He did move alright." The man scoffed.

"One successful clone after numerous attempts! This could greaten our numbers!"

Slinger heard several voices in the room, talking about something he couldn't understand.

He was confused. What was happening? Why are they cheering? Why are they overjoyed?
Who was he? What is a" clone"?

"Ahem.." He heard footsteps coming towards him.

"I assume you've recovered enough from that sudden flashbang, judging from the fact you had to cover your eyes during it?" A man in white asked.

"It wasn't a flashbang Jerry!" A muffled voice came through the window.

"Jerry" rolled his eyes and asked again. "Ignoring that, are you okay?"

Slinger looked around the room he was in. It was all white, well almost, with him standing inside a.. Machine, which radiated a soft, neon blue light. Nevertheless, he was alright.

".. I guess." Slinger answered.

The man pulled out a pencil and checked something on the board he was holding.

"Huh, vocals are fine.. Well, can you try moving around?"

Without giving it any thought, slinger took a step, and then another.

It was weird, he had no memories prior to this event, like as if he was a baby, but he had basic knowledge of everything around him, including himself.

He doesn't know who he is, or what he's supposed to be, he's just him.

"Great! Works fine alright. Well.. Perhaps you'll be coded.. S1." The man in white let out a smile.

S1? What a strange name.

"Well, I'll guide you to the testing room, come with me." The man turned around.

Despite having reasons to doubt the man before him, slinger obliged, following him.

It has been a year since then, with many more clones (and more to come) already made, of which were stronger than him. He never got mad or complained about it, there wasn't any reason to.

He had learned that he was just a clone, something who is meant to follow orders or commands, something who is meant to mindlessly offer their lives up to a higher power they know nothing off. It is merely their duty, nothing more and nothing less.

He never had a want, nor a need, he never even considered if he needed to think, as all you had to do was aim and shoot. It never mattered how would you do it, all that counted was the kill.

S1 wondered if he had any purpose other than being an optional janitor or a watchguard. He sighed, as there were none.

Compared to other clones, he had a bit more.. Emotion. Maybe that was the reason they didn't send him off to the frontlines. The men in white disliked the idea of emotions present in battle, saying something alone the lines of "It makes them vulnerable.".

It was true. Emotions make you more defenseless against enemy tactics. A empty husk that did its job well would help more, as it doesn't have any feelings to distract them from their tasks.

The perfect soldier.

S1 looked over the fields over him, nothing but the blanket of pure white snow covered it, spare for the base that was regularly cleaned up by the actual janitors.

Every day and every night, he saw many of the clones get in vehicles and presumably drive to the frontlines. Sometimes they'd come back, albeit looking much more dirty and a few injured.

He wondered if they also wondered about their purpose in this green and blue orb of a planet, but brushed it off as they were probably to busy shooting at whatever was in front of them.

He needed a purpose, or rather, a want. He wanted to do something, something that he "enjoyed", but he doesn't know how.

What was even joy? Well, there was that one time were the tests that were run on him were successful, and he felt a slight, warm feeling inside of him, but that was all he felt. It wasn't intense or anything, it was just a feeling that came by and went.

What was sadness? A feeling that occurs during a tragedy? Disgust? Anger? Fear? All of those seemed so close, it's at the tip of his tongue, but the answer doesn't seem to come out.

Maybe someday.. He'll find out what he wants. What he longs for, but for now, he will stay watch as a guard.

And so, the winter snow fell and twinkled as the light radiating off the watch tower came across them, like stars across the night sky.